inTank Media Baskets

tiny jellyfish-looking things

mgterry

on the glass

swimmer1.jpg

swimming

swimmer2.jpg

Sorry about all the debris in the background, I was cleaning my glass when I decided to take the pics.

I fist noticed one of these swimming around in my tank less than a week ago. I now have at least 15-20 of them on my glass. They seem to spend most of the time on the glass, but take off and go for a swim when I clean the glass. They swim like jellyfish. The tiny ones are so small I can barely see them, but some of them are as big as a half centimeter across when attached to the glass.

I'm sure this is probably something very common, but I'm new to this (still cycling) and just want to know if they are good/bad, what are they, etc.

The hydroids won't sting any fish or corals that I add? Also, I haven't found any hydroid colonies... is it hiding in my rock somewhere?

The Propagator

They are harmfull to small fish, seahorses and certain coral if they land on them.

smash all ya see or syphon them out is my suggestion.

darkstar339

they will die on their own. jellies need circular tanks with circular flow. if not they tend to bump into things and just fall apart. and they can't swim with much force so they will get caught in filters and powerheads. don't worry they should be gone in a short while.

You will see these from time time no matter what you do. They are basically harmless. Some hydroids will break loose and float around for a while and find a place to land and will probably be happy. These are not like jellyfish you see in round/circular displays, these guys want to bump into something. If they find a good spot, they will grow and at some point, reproduce by having some break off and float around again. The ones on the glass will probably just disappear. As for not seeing them. Trust me they are there. You would have to look very hard but you may see some fine white hair like growths on your rock. Not the stuff you see from worms but really tiny little hairs that are very hard to see. That's them. Have enough on a rock you pick up and you will feel it.

Here is a web link with some info:

http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=hydroids

Here is a good site for hitchikers we love to hate:

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-j...cnidarians.html

darkstar339

well what he is seeing is not a polyp form which is the only form that can reproduce via asexual budding. he is seeing the meudsa form which is the sexual form. it cannot reverse to polyp form at all. therefore it cannot just bump into something and form into the polyp stage. it must form gametes and expell them to make a planular larvae just like any other cnidarian.

After yesterday's water change, I can only find 2 or 3 of the little guys above. However, I spotted 1 or 2 of a different looking jellyfish-like thing. They are kind of cute, but I guess I need to try to get rid of them.

The Propagator

I realy would rid my tank of them.

And you wont always have them no matter what you do either.

;) they are nopt that hard to get rid of.

They are a nusance in the tank IMHO. :(

Archived