Cultivated Reef

AC110 Pump replacement to slow flow

montevallofalcon11

montevallofalcon11

Hey guys,

I recently made a DIY fuge out of an AC110. Unfortunately the flow seems to be a bit to much for my MB 7 as I have a nice sized valley in the front middle of my tank. I seem to remeber reading that there is a powerhead that Aquaclear makes that can be switched with the standard pump to slow the flow. Does anyone know which model it is? Also how much will it slow the flow. I dont want it slowed to terribly much just a bit but I don't want to cut the impeller fins.

Thanks!

I think I have the AC 70 and I just bought a smaller impeller. Or I would suggest just getting a another impeller so you trim the blades on the one you have and have a back up in case you make a mistake. I'm sure that would be cheaper then buying a different pump.

montevallofalcon11

Where can I get a different impeller besides ordering online? Will a different brand work?

I had to get on the phone and call the LFSs in my area. I got lucky and one had replacement impellers. Not sure if another brand will work. As long as it fits I don't see why it won't. But don't hold me to it. good luck.

montevallofalcon11

Ok I just saw on ReefCentral that some people get the AC Mini Powerhead and switch its pump with the AC70 to slow flow. However, I imagine that the minipump would not create much flow in the 110. Any other thoughts guys?

Ok I just saw on ReefCentral that some people get the AC Mini Powerhead and switch its pump with the AC70 to slow flow. However, I imagine that the minipump would not create much flow in the 110. Any other thoughts guys?

I THINK(don't quote me on it) that any of the aquaclear pumps can fit one another, with the exception to Aquaclear 500(or w/e its called now) as it has a different sized pump. If the Mini pump doesn't suite you, then maybe the next step model. But don't quote me on it >_<

I think the mini will be ok though. It will create flow, just will take some time to fill that aquaclear. I got the AC 500 has quite a bit of room in there though, you can always install baffles to slow it down and move the intake tube around too.

HTH gl =))

yankeereefer

I don't think that you can swap the impeller on the AC110/500 -

Instead you can:

1) trim the impellers blades

2) install baffles and filter pad - This seems to slow down the flow quite a bit

3) I read someplace that you can take off the black "collar" on the pump side of the u tube and it will slow down the flow as well.

4) strategically placing your LR and PH to break up the flow coming from the AC110

I use #'s 2 and 4 in my 10g for the same problem and it help dramatically

YR

montevallofalcon11

The fuge currently has 2 baffles. When I had a filter bag in it it caused the fuge to come dangerously close to overflowing. I think that right now the flow is okay though as I have put a piece of live rock rubble to break up the zone of ultra high flow.

snowlancer2720

just so you know...apparently all of the ac impellers are the same and are interchangeable, so you could always get a ac70 or even 50 impeller and it would fit

montevallofalcon11

I keep getting conflicting reports on this. Some people say that all are interchangeable and then others say that the 110 is not. Argh

snowlancer2720

honestly, dont know about that then..i heard they all are...you might want to call the manufacturer, (Hagen, i believe)

just so you know...apparently all of the ac impellers are the same and are interchangeable, so you could always get a ac70 or even 50 impeller and it would fit

Wrong. All the filters impellers are interchangeable EXCEPT the AC110(500).

Aside from yankeereefer's list, you could:

1. Let the pump parts get their biofilm on them, flow will slow slightly.

2. Glue in baffles right at the output of the filter, to disperse the flow in different directions.

I just trimmed my impeller down 1mm (from the top).

Palmettopark

Listen all you need to do is shave the impeller. Its not to hard and slows this fuge down alot. I widdeled mine like you would a stick all blades untill desired flow was obtained. I did not cut any all the way off. Just witteled them down.

Archived