Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

whens the next contest?

prosnow

Christopher Marks

The plan is to wait until the summer is over before starting a new one.

A proposed idea is to have a controlled system setup, where everyone essentially shares the same equipment, and everyone keeps the same coral species. Then at the end we review the system health and coral growth.

I'll be reviewing the ideas in this thread as it gets closer to starting.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

awesome!

A proposed idea is to have a controlled system setup, where everyone essentially shares the same equipment, and everyone keeps the same coral species. Then at the end we review the system health and coral growth.

nothing for the diy'ers? :(

• 2 weeks later...
SpencerShepard

i'm sorry but that sounds really lame. where's the room for creativity? competitive, yes...but not very much fun.

guys suggesting 30g and up contests....most people don't have that much money to put into a contest! pico contests are cool because just about any reefer can participate, and you're NOT judged on how much cash you have!! i suggest a 2L pico contest!!

i'm sorry but that sounds really lame. where's the room for creativity? competitive, yes...but not very much fun.

guys suggesting 30g and up contests....most people don't have that much money to put into a contest! pico contests are cool because just about any reefer can participate, and you're NOT judged on how much cash you have!! i suggest a 2L pico contest!!

good ideas except for the 2L part. most of us are still stuck using the english system. that is, unless you are suggesting a 2L soda bottle

not ghetto - it forces creativity! :D

Actually I would probably get a clear 3 liter bottle, fill it with 2 liters of water and cut the top off just above the water line. to give a nice big open top to work with.

you might as well do a goldfish bowl for a clean look or even better use a common betta bowl or tank (with those separators).

you can do various classes and formats though, e.g. Advanced Pico, Custom Pico, Stock Pico, etc.

the fundamental issue is the complexity of the contest to administrate. that's what chris is talking about. it's easy to say "this is what we're doing, get ready? start!"

the problems are establishing rules, timelines/schedules, sponsorship, judges/criteria, etc.

otoh, some of these were already addressed in this thread so far (imho).

sponsorship can be eliminated by setting a simple entry fee, $1~$5. winner can get $25 gift certificate up to whatever from whoever (btw i never did get my gift certificate :huh: ).

rules can be similar to the previous contests, some work needed there depending on the classifications and anything that comes up (no b*tching and moaning rule, judges' decision is final, no likey no play).

timeline/schedule is completely open, 6-months to a year.

administration really entails creating a new sub-forum and limiting participation in the contest to said forum(s).

this website (unlike many others) has always self-modded itself to a significant degree imo. i think this will extend to the/any contest. jmo

SpencerShepard
good ideas except for the 2L part. most of us are still stuck using the english system. that is, unless you are suggesting a 2L soda bottle

I'm using a Marina Betta Kit and Elite Mini powerfilter. both are hagen products, and widely available.

pico.jpg

i just ordered a Palm light from http://aquaticeco.com

AZ72037_rgb.jpg

Christopher Marks

Later this month the details will be announced and the contest will officially start the 6 month cycle on October 1st. This will allow time for members to purchase and collect equipment to be ready for water on October 1st.

Although nothing is official yet, this contest will likely be run like the previous pico contest, with a custom and a stock category, and have the same rules. The size I'm considering is a standard 10 gallon glass aquarium, with custom allowing any tank that totals 10 gallons. Entries to the contest will need to provide photo and information updates at least once per month for all 6 months to make it into voting. Winners will be chosen by the forum members in voting threads at the end of the 6 month period. Prizes are still to be determined, but will likely allow for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places for each category.

Yeah 10G is bigger than any of my tanks I currently have :P

and doesnt make it much of a 'pico tank' contest :D

I think a <1.5G would work -- the Tetra Wonders 1.5G tanks have lots of potential (I love mine)

Hehe, I'm happy with the 10g contest. After all, this is Nano-Reef.com, not Pico-Reef.com. :)

Plus, there's only so much you can stuff in a 1.5g setup. The 10g is much more interesting for all parties involved.

Frugality could get one started for less than $150. You personally could probably start one for free, or at least for the cost of a 10g tank: combine your current tanks into the ten for the contest, and switch back when it's all over.

Most people have extra equipment lying around that they could use or sell. Also, the stock category is perfect for 'jury rigging' a perfectly usable setup. Since this is a size that is very popular with newbies, large enough for an impressive aquascape but small enough to not cost a fortune to stock, I think it's perfect. :)

SpencerShepard
Since this is a size that is very popular with newbies, large enough for an impressive aquascape but small enough to not cost a fortune to stock, I think it's perfect. :)

Your fortune is obviously bigger than mine and Argent's! Stocking a 10 gallon to win this contest would require several hundred dollars in livestock!

Hehe, if you say so. I don't plan on spending any more than $100 on livestock if I enter, and that's without fragging what I already have. Good luck!

Your fortune is obviously bigger than mine and Argent's! Stocking a 10 gallon to win this contest would require several hundred dollars in livestock!
that criteria depends on the audience/judges (it'll be voting threads like before as chris mentioned).

shoe-string budgets can still create interesting displays imho, e.g. multi-variety macroalgae garden, xenia forest, zoanthid flower beds, clown/anemone combo (to disprove the doubters), centerpiece coral/clam, etc.

would it be free/cheap? no. but this hobby isn't typically a "cheap" hobby either.

but for a beginner starting out, it'd be the same as any one of us starting another new 10g tank. same costs, same steps, and if done in the same patient and progressive way it should turn out just as nicely. rush jobs end up in the crapper.

$100 for frags will fill a 10g ime (e.g. 10-frags @ $10/each at Seacrop). spend another $100 as fill-in if you want or double the first purchase prices for another ols supplier but you're still around $200~$300 tops. i don't consider that "several" but it is "a couple".

Obsessed Reefer

O man. if there is a 10G contest, forget upgrading my nano cube.

I like the 10G, but maybe a 10 Gallon display with a maximum 10 gallon sump.

Or a 20G contest would be nice.

Archived