Cultivated Reef

Frogspawn not doing so well.

Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

I have had a 2 headed Frogspawn in my tank for about a month. I acquired it in a lot of corals that I received from a guy whose chiller caught on fire. Everything has been doing great so far, the only loss I had was a finger leather that detached from it's rock and got sucked up in the filter.

The Frogspawn was doing wonderfully for about 3 weeks, both heads opened up really big when the lights came on. I loved this coral because it would send out really long tenticles in the evening and it was really cool to see them swaying in the current. Over the last week it has taken a turn for the worse. I noticed that the light pink coloration started to turn a little brownish, I didn't think much of it at first because a lot of the stuff I got was bleached and had been gradually returning back to it's true color. But then it stopped opening all the way, and now it is looking pretty sad. I don't see any skeleton at all, but the tenticles which were once pale pink are now mauve and a bit shriveled.

Temp 78-80

Salinity 1.024

pH 8.2

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Calcium 450

dKH 10

The tank is 28 gallons with 130 watts of PC, the Frogspawn is placed a little more than half way up in medium current. I did two water changes in the last 12 hours, 10% last night and 10% this morning.

Any ideas?

Kellie in CA

I have been giving it some brine shrimp a couple of times a week when I feed my other corals. I squirt it in the tenticles, but it is so full when it's open that it is hard to see if it is actually eating it. Is there a better way?

It has perked up a little bit since the water changes, but it is not puffing up all huge like it used to. :(

Jon in SW Ohio

I would switch to something more nutritious like frozen mysis shrimp. Mine loves them and is noticibly larger every week or two. I feed it three times a week.

RayWhisperer

Try moving it to a different area of the tank. The difference in flow and light amount may perc it up.

Also, just a thought.... I recently started using a product called Roti-Feast, the expantion in my corals is immense.It's pretty difficult to find, but the website is www.Reef-Nutrition.com.

Kellie in CA

Well, it is looking MUCH better today. I remembered that I had moved my powerhead last time I cleaned the tank and I think the frogspawn may have been getting more current than it was used to. I moved the powerhead back and it looks 10x better, it is back to it's jerky self sending out the sweeper tenticles (I don't know who at, it is alone on that side of the tank!).

Archived