Cultivated Reef

fish that don't jump!

Ihaveafish

I've had my tank about 1 1/2 years. Suicide seems to be my biggest ptoblem. Because of the light mounts, bacpak, and wires (heater/powerhead) I don't know how to design a lid for the tank.

Can someone give me a list of fish that won't jump out!? My Clown fish is fine, I have a damsel that has been around for a few months, a Mandarin that seems fine, shrimp, starfish, hermits, and snails are all OK. What other fish will be OK?

So far I've lost a few firefish, a blue Hellena, a barred Goby, an Angel Fish, and one other I can't remember. Two of those were $50 fish!

Any suggestions?

Apparently any fish can jump out because my supposedly un-jumping occelaris went carpet surfing a few weeks ago.

I think that any fish that aren't very fast, (like the mandarin) wouldn't be able to get up enough speed to get out of the tank.

good luck!

Make a lid out of 5/8" eegcrate, you can easily cut it however you want with a pair of scissors... Found where you LHS keeps the light dissfusers

My occ. clown also jumped a few weeks ago. Just cover your tank and play it safe.

I never thought my scooter blennies were very 'fast' fish, until I tried to net them. I had to remove everything from my tank just to get them out.

No such thing as a fish that can't jump. I tell you that with first hand experience at the fish store. Our most common offenders are the diamond goby which love to sail accross the room in the middle of the night from a half inch square hole where the cords exit the lid.

i'd have to agree with lgreen, it's more or less the luck of the draw, i had a yasha for 3 days before he jumped. now i've got a sixline and an onyx clown that are quite happy in the tank i've got. so it's just your preference on which fish you'd like to put in and take a risk with D=

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

never heard of a mandarin thats a jumper. they just might, but to date i havent found a single post to suggest they do.

firefishbrain

hawkfish are lies, they can but it's unusual, as stated before any fish can jump but the quick diligent swimmers, (gobies, wrasses and the like) are more prone to it.

Archived