Coral Vue Hydros

Red Alage in Fuge

jdavis28

Got Red Algae in my Fuge. Trying to get ride of it by changing photo periods. Water quality is good. Except my ph is high and I have algae on the back glass.

I need a phosporus bag, anyone ever seen this before? Seen: as in the red algae in the refuge. Looks almost spongelike red mixed in with the Cheato

Tim

if your getting cyano, your nutrients are still a bit high, increase the flow through the fuge, and lower the trates.

Test for nitrates and phosphates. They may be normal though this is becase the algea is using them up, i would suggest keep up with water changes and increase flow.

Josh

Algae in the fuge. Good thing, no? I have tons of algae in my fuge and its never a problem...as long as it stays there.

• 2 weeks later...
Test for nitrates and phosphates. They may be normal though this is becase the algea is using them up, i would suggest keep up with water changes and increase flow.

Josh

i do keep up with h20 changes. usually once a week or most of the time 1x every 2wks. my nitrates are low (0-5ppm range) and my phosphates are 0 because I had a phospates removal bag in the filter for about 2 days which lowered the phosphates to zero. I then tested the water for phosphates and it is 0

what do u guys think?

mr. bueno

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like cyano to me too. the only way i've been able to remove cyano is to scrape it off and siphon it out. cyano is a B!TCH to get rid of. i have no idea how it will work in your fuge. good luck.

DementedLullaby

Pods seem to love the cyano. I had a few patches sprouting in the 'fuge initially but now it's under control, didn't bother removing it. Always saw the pods all over it so I decided to let it stay. They've pretty much ate all of it now. Just a tad bit left.

shaggydoo541

Does your red algae look like cotton candy in the water? Kind of fluffy? If so I had to battle that stuff too. It would drop from my ac500 fuge into the main tank and began growing in and around coral colonies. It got so bad it was killing off some zoas and blastos. I found a grey shelled nocturnal turbo snail that ate the red algae and now my problem is gone.

If it is cyano it will look really slimy (usually). If thats what you have, some increased circulation is the best remedy.

DementedLullaby

Mine was only on walls of the 'fuge. Not on rocks/in water. I don't want too much flow in my refugium really and since it's only there I'm not really bothered by it :).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived