Cultivated Reef

Sun Coral Problem

ezcompany

after a short accimilation ( i was in a hurry ) of 10-15 minutes

i placed him in a low flow bottom of my eclipse 6.

his yellow/orange part is turning grey, all the polyps. can i still nurse it back to care? what is my best bet as of now?

I think the problem is that you are using the wrong salt mix. Get the OceanPure Pro like I said in the other thread :lol: J/K dude.

From past experience, sun corals are kinda hard to kill, unless they are smother by algae or something (which happened in my case). I haven't had any where the tissue turned grey, but as long as the coral is not losing any tissue, I think you'll be ok. It's still early. Just wait and see what happens next. Try feeding it when the lights are out and see if they respond. With enough patience, you can actually "train" them to open during the daytime through feeding.

Kellie in CA

It's fine. The grey part looks like it may be expelling waste. My Sun Coral looks just like that after eating brine shrimp, it poops out little grey puffs. If you feed it too much it will do that too, it will spit out whatever is in there so it can close up when the lights come on.

I have found that my Sun Coral is one of the easiest corals I have. I target feed it 2-3 times a week and it is thriving. Just one brine shrimp per polyp and it is good to go. You will notice that as soon as the lights go out at night, or if it smells food it will become HUGE. I am always amazed at how big mine gets. :)

hey kellie

thats good to hear. however my sun coral didn't open up last night at all.

how do you feed yours? do you take it out with some tank water and make a slurry or do you turn off pumps and feed it? i'd rather take it out cuz its so hard to target each polyp.

hey kellie

thats good to hear. however my sun coral didn't open up last night at all.

how do you feed yours? do you take it out with some tank water and make a slurry or do you turn off pumps and feed it? i'd rather take it out cuz its so hard to target each polyp.

also, keep in mind that if you did a quick acclimate, it might take a few days to recover.

the easiest way to do it, is cut the bottom off of a soda bottle, squirt some brine/mysis under that, and put it over the sun coral, let it feed, (you may have to poof under the bottle with a turkey baster a few times to keep the mysis going in the current. easy.

take it out to feed? or take it out to get rid of?

Kellie in CA

I never take it out of the water. Mine is propped up on a rock where there is access to all sides. I turn off the pumps, and take a pipette and squirt a little shrimp (mixed with tank water) on each poylp. The little tenticles are sticky so the food stays on well.

I never take it out of the water. Mine is propped up on a rock where there is access to all sides. I turn off the pumps, and take a pipette and squirt a little shrimp (mixed with tank water) on each poylp. The little tenticles are sticky so the food stays on well.

how much light do you have again?

i don't think i can prop it in a easy access place cuz its covered with zoos. i'll try again tonight to see if i have some tentacle extension. last night i didn't get any, but the snails and hermits came hoardingcuz of the mysis.

and the speckles...what are the speckles!!! (orange dots) i've never seen any sun coral like that before!

Kellie in CA

I have 130 watts of PC. I have heard that they like to be in shady places, but mine gets zero shade. I put it in the place where I was most likely to be able to feed all sides of it. It is doing great, last night it opened up the biggest I have ever seen it.

so what part is the actual tentacles? the orange?

yes...get some brine shrimp and try feeding it. I know my sun corals come out when I agitate the sand bed and when I start the feeding frenzy. I normally baste the coral with brine juice. This normally wakes it up and makes it open up. Once it's open and happy looking. I feed it. After that it should stay open for a while.

Archived