Sharkbait3

MUST

1) Minibow 5 (of course :P)

2) Coralife screw-in 20w 50/50

3) 50-75w heater

4) AquaClear 20 or 30 (recommend 30)

NOTE - turn the filter into a fuge

MAYBE

1) A fish that gets no longer than 3 inches and doesn't require any space needs.

2) Some low-light corals

3) A lighting upgrade (recommend a retrofit)

4) 10+ lbs of livesand

5) 5+ lbs of liverock

6) A background

Hope this helps! :)

what fish you think i should start with? im kind of new at this but i have an idea...my brother has a 24g aquapod, but he has more space to work with...so i would like an opinion on that..

By the way thanks Klaunpish for your opnion =)

i'd lose the stock canopy and replace it with a 12" coralife 36w aqualight. for filtration, you could go with the aquaclear 30 with purigen, seagel, chemipure, or all of the above, OR you could go with the aquaclear 110 and modify it into a refugium. i'd use at least 10 lbs of live rock, and a 1/2"-1" sand bed. paint the back of the tank blue or black for a good background. fish wise, you could go with a single true percula clown, or a pair of SMALL gobies like green lines, neons, clown gobies, or high fin (or one of 2-3 different species). a shrimp would be fine, i'd either go with a couple/3 sexy shrimp or a single cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp. cleanup crew wise, i'd go with 3 astreas, 1 SMALL turbo snail, 6-10 nessarius snails, and 2-3 blue leg hermits.

what fish you think i should start with? im kind of new at this but i have an idea...my brother has a 24g aquapod, but he has more space to work with...so i would like an opinion on that..

By the way thanks Klaunpish for your opnion =)

You're welcome, I'd recommend a clownfish or clown goby.

a purple firefish would bring nice color to your tank...and i'd add on a trochus (turban) snail if/when (more like when) hair algae start to appear. those guys made short work of my hair algae prob toot sweet =).

to turn the filter into a fuge, you want to remove the media basket and cut the grid out of the bottom of it. attach the grid to the outflow of the filter with silicone. silicone a small piece of plexiglass/acrylic that is the same width as the filter and about 1" below the outflow slightly to the right of the pump assembly (about 1-1.5" away). clip about 1/3 off each impeller blade to lower flow. cut a hole in the lid of the filter to the same size of the light you're using and glue a plexiglass lense under the hole to reduce evap/protect the light. in the larger compartment of the refugium, put about 1-2" of live rock rubble and chips and some macro algae like chaeto or cualerpa. for more detailed instructions and pics, look in the refugium discussion forum for the aquaclear 110 refugium modification thread.

I know you want more opinions, well here they are.

Here are all the fish you can keep in your 5 gallon.

But I'd recommend the :

Ocellaris Clownfish - th_88039.jpg

Firefish - th_71133.jpg

Purple Firefish - th_71146.jpg

Clown Goby - th_90164.jpg

Here are the inverts I'd recommend :

Peppermint Shrimp - th_78505.jpg

Cleaner Shrimp - th_78348.jpg

Emerald Crab - th_86564.jpg

Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab - a>

Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab - th_86551.jpg

Then once you upgrade your lighting you can keep corals. Hope this will help you.

montevallofalcon11

Hey welcome to the Mini Bow Crowd! I have a mini-bow 7, so mines a bit bigger but still. Check out my thread if you want to read up about mine.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87462

Hope your bow goes well!

I second the motion on the Clownfish and Peppermint shrimp. That combo lives happily in my setup.

Also I turned an AC 110 into a fuge recently following this design: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=679159

Looks like this end of the forum is picking up!

Your setup sound good - looking forward to seeing some pics. I ended up with the blue legged hermits, cerith snails and an emerald crab. I was thinking about one of the cleaner shrimps and a small clam but wanted to see how the tank did over summer first before adding anything larger than hermits at this point.

I picked up a lot of ideas from doncb and several others.

This is doncb's thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60382

This my extension of doncb's original design.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84797

I think doncb added a Scissor tail Goby.

Good luck and post some pics!

This is sharkbait brother i set up his tank yesterday 5 gal minibow i ordered ac30 and corallife screw in 20 w 50/50. How much space does that AC 30 take up ???? If any one has pics i would appreciate it? No moonlights in the screw in 50/50?

I can't believe no one has said pistol/shrimp goby combo, those things are so cool to watch. I'm going with a yasha and candy stripe pistol, that is once I find a combo at a good price.

I can't believe no one has said pistol/shrimp goby combo, those things are so cool to watch. I'm going with a yasha and candy stripe pistol, that is once I find a combo at a good price.

You're right, I agree. But I think that a yasha might be a little too expensive. So maybe a hi fin red banded goby, which kind of looks like a yasha.

i was thinkin of going with a tomato clown, HI FIN banded goby, red pistol shrimp and a firefish with a emerald crabb......any opinions????

montevallofalcon11

Tomato will be to big for a 5 gallon.

Also you will probably just want a single fish set up with a 5 gallon water volume.

Yeah tomatoes get pretty big, I recommend a false clownfish, or a pistol shrimp + Goby combo. If get the combo get a hi fin red banded goby.

Fishfreak218
ok how about an O-clownfish, yellow watchman goby- red pistol shrimp, and a firefish?????

how about a 15g. ???

:):lol:

but seriously.. no Occelaris Clown.. and then pick your favorite out of the YWG and the firefish..

if you want an O.clown and another fish go with a 10g.

Archived