Top Shelf Aquatics

When you stop adding additives...

FamousGuy

If i were to start using additives to get the coralline thriving, then stopped, would it be a complete disaster for the coralline?  Or, would the trace elements in the water change salt keep it happy?

trace element within a water change wont be able to keep the coralline as purple as before. trust me. i left my tank for more than a week because i head home for summer break. when i came back, the coralline in my tank were pale. added calcium right away and now they are coming back.

Whats so bad about adding trace elements? At the least your tank would be happy with calcium and some kind of buffer to keep pH and corals happy. Or you could use kalkwasser; while its very tricky it has many benifits, and its simple...

quiksilver5768

I have a question which may be a little of the topic...

Im gonna be gone for 10 days this summer...

Currently, I add 1/2 capful of reef complete twice a week, 1/3 tsp of reef success trace once a week, and 1/2 capful of reef plus twice a week. This formula keeps everything perfect. Quick question though...what would your suggestions be to do before I leave the trip. I was thinking about doing a water change and then add the success trace, reef complete, and reef plus. Missing one dosage of the reef complete and reef plus and then just starting up again when I got back. What do you all think?

10 days? man that will hurt...

i hope you have an auto-top off system...

cuz evaporation will really cause alot of stress...specially 10 days :(

i just got done building my auto-top off system and it works great...

now an idea just came in my head and i think its do-able....an automatic water change system :)

d*mn..i forgot...sorry quick....

yeah..it should be fine for 10 days without adding trace elements out....

got anybody you trust? friend or relatives perhaps to do the job for you?

quiksilver5768

I do have an auto top off system stryf3. I use a float switch connected to a pump in my RO resevoir. I just have to make sue that my resevoir is full before I leave.

Its a 10 gal tank...2x55 watts of lighting. about 16 lbs. of LR. Half an inch of mixed aragonite and sand. Its been running for about a year now and always stable. This is the longest that ive ever had to leave the tank alone and it kind of scares me that i'll be gone for 10 days. And no...my whole family will be taking the trip to France with me so I dont think I know anyone who knows enough about reefs to put the addditives in. Any suggestions? Oh yea, and the specs of what I add to my tank are posted in this thread already :) Thanks...

One more thing that I forgot to add. I have a 5 gal refugium plumbed to the tank...

(Edited by quiksilver5768 at 11:00 pm on May 18, 2002)

Archived