Top Shelf Aquatics

Help ID, Strange Substance on Rock

montevallofalcon11

montevallofalcon11

Hey guys,

When I started my tank I had a small patch of oddly shaped material on the corner of one of my tanks. It is a pasty white color and at first looked like closed up Zoas. Now that my new light has been on for quite a while and life has exploded the mysterious substance has grown quite a bit. Now it resembles a cobweb of many many tubular structures. I would take a picture but my camera has recently died, damn you Sony. Any idea what it could be and if I need to remove it?

I think I know what your talking about because that sounds like something In my tank. I think it might be some kind of sponge. But one cant really be sure wiothout a pic.

montevallofalcon11

I just looked up tube sponge on google images and it looks kinda like that, but much more dense tube wise. Anyone else have any ideas on ID?

does it look like a bunch of vases with hole on one end?

Look up sea squirts. Good indication of good water quality.

Hope it's not something bad.

Yep it looks like a picture of sea squirts I found. So these growing is a good sign?

Yes it is a good sign. They usually do not last too long though so enjoy them while you have them. They feed on phytoplankton suspended in the water column so try feeding that if you want to keep it.

montevallofalcon11

Hmmm I think they reached their peak a few days ago because they appear to be receeding a lil bit over the past 48 hours. I will try adding some phytoplankton.

Archived