Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yellow head jawfish and Blue spotted jawfish

roxy25

well I have plans to set up 34 gallon hex in my room.

I have the stand and canopy already just need the tank.

I was thinking of what to do with it. I was going to try sea horses but I am not sure. then I remembered the jawfish how it likes to burrow. I really think they are super cute.

I wanted to know if these ideas would fly

A) 3 yellow jawfish together

B) 2 yellow jawfish and 1 blue spotted

C) 3 yellow 1 blue spotted

would they fight or be peaceful ?

D) a few seahorses with 1 jawfish

Fishfreak218

D)

Seahorses just need the right set-up ...

tank temps at around 75 or lower (for tropical SH's)

low flow.. etc...

Info on Seahorses

www.seahorse.org

www.syngnathid.org

www.reefcentral.com (the seahorse forum/section)

Sources on CAPTIVE BRED seahorses ( a key to keeping them is getting CAPTIVE BRED SH's)

www.seahorse.com (a.k.a. Oceanrider)

www.seahorsesource.com (a better alternative to Oceanrider IMO)

D)

Seahorses just need the right set-up ...

tank temps at around 75 or lower (for tropical SH's)

low flow.. etc...

Info on Seahorses

www.seahorse.org

www.syngnathid.org

www.reefcentral.com (the seahorse forum/section)

Sources on CAPTIVE BRED seahorses ( a key to keeping them is getting CAPTIVE BRED SH's)

www.seahorse.com (a.k.a. Oceanrider)

www.seahorsesource.com (a better alternative to Oceanrider IMO)

thanks I already been to all those sites I did tons of research

I just really wanted more info on the jawfish before I decide

clifford513
thanks I already been to all those sites I did tons of research

I just really wanted more info on the jawfish before I decide

I have a yellow headed or pearly jawfish. Really neat to watch. Likes a deeper sandbed. Mine is about 3-4" and it has made lots of tunnels and pops out here and there alot. It is really shy and easily startled by bigger fish. Not out in the open much until feeding time and then just up to get a piece of food and back to the hideout.

I'm not sure how the mix of jawfish would go... I've seen them in other peoples tanks put a beat down on anything that had a similar long thin body shape (firefish, blennies...etc)

I would think a mated pair is your best bet at keeping more than one.

If you take a look at www.sealifeflorida.com or e-mail Ken there he sometimes has mated pairs of jawfish available.

I'm not sure how the mix of jawfish would go... I've seen them in other peoples tanks put a beat down on anything that had a similar long thin body shape (firefish, blennies...etc)

I would think a mated pair is your best bet at keeping more than one.

If you take a look at www.sealifeflorida.com or e-mail Ken there he sometimes has mated pairs of jawfish available.

Research shows that jawfish are very territorial with eachother. On the other hand all individual fish are a little different in terms of personality so you could luck out. A study was done by setting up a small tank w/2 yellow headed jawfish, adding only enough rocks to fully support 1 burrow and a dark divider in the middle so they couldn't see eachother. When both jawfish had established thier burrows the divider came up and they were able to interact with eachother and started to quarrel. Basically even if they have established territory they will still fight. I'd think you'd be ok if the foot print of the tank was large enough to give them plenty of space, or if you have enough rock work so that they can't ever see each other.

dont know about inter species. but feel like commenting on the 38" hex tank. I wouldnt do 3 pearlys in that. They need their space to dig their burrows and I would imagine in a hex they'd just end up with their holes running into/on top of each other.

Id love to do a multiple jaw tank someday, but id think like 55 or 33L or somthing.

a mated pair between a pearly and a bluespot jawfish??? they're totally different species

:haha: I am just now seeing this

no I ment a pair of yellow heads

Archived