Pod Your Reef

Complete Newbie!

NanoNewbie77

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NanoNewbie77

Thought I would just throw this in here for the heck of it because yep, I'm just that bored.

These are the specific corals and such that I will buy and place in my tank at some point when it gets cycled. I know, I will add only one every few days or so or even in a weeks span. This are some items that my LFS actually has for sale, so I picked from there. Well heres my list... and please back me away from any bad choices i've made hehe:

To start out:

Pom Pom Xenia

Zoo Frags (not sure what colors yet...)

Purple Pasion Mushroom

Carribian Mushroom

Purple Sea Whip

Lime Green Ricorda

More expensive/ much later on

Pink Cove Poylps

Sun Poylps

an Annenome

..and so on lol...

The pom pom xenia will be my first addition .... soo cheap ($8) but so cool looking to me

^-^.

If you're close to the orlando area, or plan on visiting here some time soon, I'll give you a large Nepthia frag for free. It's growing real fast. Maybe even a striped green mushroom or some GSP. I just have so much and it's growing so fast that it's taking over my tank. I want to make room for more coral. If you really want some Xenia, I could grow a frag of it, too.

NanoNewbie77

I live in Missouri :( . Thanks so much for offering though!!! It would be really cool if I did though!! That gives me an idea to go to RC under the local club and see if they have stuff they want to get rid of.... hmmmm

NanoNewbie77

My test kit showed all levels fine, so i went to the LFS and they said that all the levels are perfect, and the S.G. is near perfect (slowly adding more salt to raise it a little). So, I got a Ocellaris clown and a Cleaner Shrimp. Hopefully all will go well!!! I will edit with pictures soon.

Remember, shrimp need a longer acclimation period preferably using the drip method. I lost my first cleaner due to improper acclimation.

NanoNewbie77
Remember, shrimp need a longer acclimation period preferably using the drip method. I lost my first cleaner due to improper acclimation. Remember, shrimp need a longer acclimation period preferably using the drip method. I lost my first cleaner due to improper acclimation.

Yep, I did read up on that, and the shrimp is eating and doing just fine. My clownfish is another story though, hes not eating as often- if anything.

sorry after you said petco i just stopped reading because i dont want to flame you!

Sorry to hear that Smoyed, I really didn't know better at the time. Thanks for not flaming me, it really does no good anyway.... but having people actually tell me that petco is not a place to go for anything fish wise would have helped me way more (which people have done on here and i thank 'em :) )

I just keep posting on here so that if there are people like me that didn't have much of a clue what they were getting into at first, they can read this and get something out of it.

My clownfish is another story though, hes not eating as often- if anything.

sorry to hear that. Maybe your luck will turn for the better.

NanoNewbie77
sorry to hear that. Maybe your luck will turn for the better.

And it has :) . I have the Tropical Flakes that I tried to feed them... they are little circle flakes, but he wouldn't eat thoes. Yet, when i scraped off the tank glass' algae, he went right for the algae and ate it! So what i did was broke up the flakes into little peices and he goes after it like crazy. Kinda wierd, but as long as hes okay, im okay. :lol:

So, is there other foods that clownfish like more than just regular flakes?? Maybe mysis shrimp or cylopeze?(spellings bad :P ) I feed him everyday, but i saw some people on here say to feed every other day because of the bioload... is that true? The little guy always looks like hes hungry :P

Happy birthday!!!

I got my maroon clown when he was just 1/2" long. He was so small that I had to crush the food up and hand feed him. It's cool because now that he's older, he likes to swim close to my hand when it's in the tank because he wants food.

NanoNewbie77

Thats really small lol!! The clown will come up and feed out of my hand too, hes about 1 1/2 inches i think.

Well i got another clownfish today, and he's kind of beat up because of all the clowns they had in one tank, but he will be fine. I got him a little smaller in hope that someday the two clowns will become a mated pair.

I also got a little piece of coral they had for sale, it was bright mettalic green and really pretty, but i forgot what its called!!! :huh: . It was only $10... and it hasn't opened up yet but could you guys remind me what it was called?? It was so pretty, but the LFS guy said it grows like a weed. Ill post more pictures when it opens.

post-20836-1152394621_thumb.jpg

post-20836-1152394633_thumb.jpg

post-20836-1152394646_thumb.jpg

That's Green Star Polyps or GSP for short. They are the ones I mentioned earlier and suggested putting on it's own rock not touching any others.

It also looks like you have some good coerage on the green coraline. Tank's looking good!

NanoNewbie77
That's Green Star Polyps or GSP for short.

Yep, thats it!!! My mind just went blank :) . So do you think I should put it on the rock in the front right?? Or is the place it is at ok since I have absolutly no other corals in the tank and I can move it later?

Tank's looking good!

Thanks!!!! :D

irishtexan

I really like your tank! What kind of clowns are those? Also, what are you planning on for corals?

texan

Those look like occellaris. The color difference may be due to one being tank raised and one being wild caught. I would say the duller orange one is prbably tank raised due to the more irregular striping.

Put the GSP towards the back of the tank against the glass. Over the next year or so it will grow over the glass. Ot looks really cool that way IMO.

NanoNewbie77

One is occellaris for sure, the other oranger one is debatable. The LFS guy said he ordered some true percs and some occellaris and they have been jumping from tank to tank so they got mixed up a little.

Thank you Texan :D I listed a whole list of corals I am planning to get just a few posts behind this one, but it is just a rough guess. You know how this hobby goes :P .

You can keep it where it is for now. Just keep a close eye on it. If it covers so much of the rock that it's getting close to the neighboring rock, that's the time to move it.

irishtexan

Lol yeah I know. I am getting ready to setup a 10g tank and I am going to get an O. Clown. I'm 14 so I don't have a job so I have been saving up for a while. Do they swim together?

texan

NanoNewbie77

Oh cool, im 14 too :D . I know how ya feel about the budget problem lol. The two clowns are swimming together! I never see a time that they aren't apart! It's really cute :lol: .

The GSP either fell or somehow moved from the rock i had it on.... so I moved it onto its own little rock. They dont need much flow right? He's right under the powerhead and it is hard to place him anywhere with the shell that hes sucking on or something.

Most likely your snails and crabs will move it around when you're not looking. You can either loosly rubber band it to a rock, loosly tie it to a rock, or use super glue gel to glue it to a rock. The super glue gel has to be used out of the water and you only need a tiny bit.

irishtexan

Awesome! Yeah I am going to get two clowns for my 10G when I get it finished :P

GSP need moderate flow so algae doesn't grow over it and smother it. Yeah you can use superglue gel to glue it in place.

texan

ps-Happy belated B-Day!!

Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear NanoNewb, Happy birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!!lol

NanoNewbie77

Hehe thanks :)

Unfortunatly, Sunrise isn't doing too well. (I named the lighter newer one sunrise and the darker older one sunset :lol: ). I'm not sure what his problem is, but hes always close to the surface, breathing kind of heavily, and he is all raggity looking (no not fin rot...) he was kind of like this when i bought him though. Sunset is fine however, so I know its not my tank. Also, I found just a tiny bit of bubble algae, but not enough to stress over it (yet :mellow: )

On the brighter side, the GSP is growing just fine hehe! I might get another coral soon, or a fish, so Ill keep this updated!! :D

LOL!! Good names! When you are removing the bubble algae DO NOT pop the bubbles. Sorry to hear about sunrise. Keep us posted!

texan

Archived