Innovative Marine Aquariums

Got my aquapod - some questions

xxxbadfishxxx

xxxbadfishxxx

Okay, let me first say that i am not a NEWBIE to Reefing, but i am new to Nanos. I use the Berlin method of filtration on my 50 Gallon, i just run a lot of water and a protein skimmer with a deep sand bed an lot of live rock, and has been up for around a year and a half..

My questions are, what media should i use? I know a lot of people replace the bioballs with Liverock rubble. How many of you use all of the media that it comes with? if i replace the bioballs with Liverock rubble, do i put the carbon over the rubble? Basically what should be in chamber 1, 2, 3, and 4. Does the heater go in chamber 4 along with the pump? i brought a MJ900 for more movement, for those of you that do that, do you not use the stock pump, or do you use it in adition to the stock pump? Also any other pointers you can give me that will be highly appreciated.

thanks again,

Jeff

wat size is it? im guessing 12g cuz it has 4 chambers. well wat most people do, and i plan on doing this to, is they use filter floss or the sponge in chamber 1 or they put the LR rubble there. then in the 2nd chamber, they make it a fuge. for the 3rd, they put w/e they use(chemi-pure, phos-ban, etc.) then the fourth they put the heater and almost everybody has a mj900 for the return. i have a mj900 in my return too. i dont use the stock one cuz it gets too hot and it sux.

xxxbadfishxxx
wat size is it? im guessing 12g cuz it has 4 chambers. well wat most people do, and i plan on doing this to, is they use filter floss or the sponge in chamber 1 or they put the LR rubble there. then in the 2nd chamber, they make it a fuge. for the 3rd, they put w/e they use(chemi-pure, phos-ban, etc.) then the fourth they put the heater and almost everybody has a mj900 for the return. i have a mj900 in my return too. i dont use the stock one cuz it gets too hot and it sux.

Yeah, its a 12 Gallon, i have the sponge in chamber one, 2-3 are currently empty, and 4 is MJ900 and 50watt heater. I plan on putting LR Rubble in chamber 3 instead of the bioballs, and i guess in chamber two i can put the chemical media they gave me, is this equivalent to Chemi-pure?

also, i must have got the older model withouth the Loc Line Y peice? I would like to order it Online, does anyone know what size it is?

Yeah, its a 12 Gallon, i have the sponge in chamber one, 2-3 are currently empty, and 4 is MJ900 and 50watt heater. I plan on putting LR Rubble in chamber 3 instead of the bioballs, and i guess in chamber two i can put the chemical media they gave me, is this equivalent to Chemi-pure?

also, i must have got the older model withouth the Loc Line Y peice? I would like to order it Online, does anyone know what size it is?

Drs Forestor Smith website.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

The new 12 uses 1/2", it comes with 2 nozzles, a Y splitter, and a 6" length.

Drs Forestor Smith website.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

The new 12 uses 1/2", it comes with 2 nozzles, a Y splitter, and a 6" length.

Are the older ones 1/2'' as well I thought it was 3/4" cant remeber and mine is at work.

I have the earlier model with no spliter and a bit of light bleed through in the front which i and thinking of sanding the hood to get rid of that bacause it bothers me.

xxxbadfishxxx
Are the older ones 1/2'' as well I thought it was 3/4" cant remeber and mine is at work.

I have the earlier model with no spliter and a bit of light bleed through in the front which i and thinking of sanding the hood to get rid of that bacause it bothers me.

yes, i have the same model. How can i tell? i would like to order the Loc-line today. Also, i was thinking of a way to fix that light gap, you think sanding the hood will help?

Thanks,

Jeff

yes, i have the same model. How can i tell? i would like to order the Loc-line today. Also, i was thinking of a way to fix that light gap, you think sanding the hood will help?

Thanks,

Jeff

A good fix I heard of is just lining around the inside with electrical tape. Blends in and covers up real well.

xxxbadfishxxx
A good fix I heard of is just lining around the inside with electrical tape. Blends in and covers up real well.

Im sure i can just line the lid with some black silicone, let it dry (being open of course) then when you shut it, it might cover the gap.

xxxbadfishxxx

Im about to place an order for the Loc-line, i have been researching it to try and fine out if its 1/2 inch or 3/4 and came up empty handed. I am also confused on wether or not i have to drill or not. If i have to drill i think i will skip this mod since i already have my pod filled and in the middle of cycling.

I'm also considering using one side sticky foam strips to cover the gap in the lid. I dunno how the salt creep will affct it though, but it's worth a try I think.

Thanks,

Jeff

I am thinking of breaking out the dremel planer attachement and taking a bit off till it is level all the way around. i dont really want to jerryrig the hood after i have put so much thought in to the other mods on my list.

Im about to place an order for the Loc-line, i have been researching it to try and fine out if its 1/2 inch or 3/4 and came up empty handed. I am also confused on wether or not i have to drill or not. If i have to drill i think i will skip this mod since i already have my pod filled and in the middle of cycling.

Hey Badfish,

If you measure exactly the OuterDiameter of your output spout, I can measure mine also to see if your model is the same as mine. My parts are the 1/2" size. FYI: it does not fit on a 1/2 tube, but the inner diameter of the joint between the balls is 1/2". If you want me to measure my output nozzle on my Apod I would be happy to.

Fred

I would call Current USA and explain you just purchased hoping it was the new model but it isn't and it doesn't have a locline. Maybe they can do something for you.

xxxbadfishxxx
I would call Current USA and explain you just purchased hoping it was the new model but it isn't and it doesn't have a locline. Maybe they can do something for you.

thats a really good idea. I just emailed them to see if they will hook it up. Hopefully they will, but im not expecting too much from them, but its worth a shot. Everyone else, thank you for all of your replies.

Jeff

thats a really good idea. I just emailed them to see if they will hook it up. Hopefully they will, but im not expecting too much from them, but its worth a shot. Everyone else, thank you for all of your replies.

Jeff

Let us know how you make out cause i have the same issues as you.

Let us know how you make out cause i have the same issues as you.

Well i recieved this today,

Dear Sir,

You are correct in that the unit you have is an older model. All new

Aquapods that have shipped in the last 2 months include the dual-output

flexible nozzle.

The standard 1/2" Loc-Line tubing should fit fine on the outlet. You can

pick this product up online, as well as at a local retailer.

Sincerely,

Ike

But when i took the stock directional control piece that come with the unit to homedepot to test fit it on a 1/2" peice of tube it was loose yet it fit perfect on the 3/4 peice. I ordered the 3/4" loc line and if worse come to worse i just use some teflon tape.

Well i recieved this today,

Dear Sir,

You are correct in that the unit you have is an older model. All new

Aquapods that have shipped in the last 2 months include the dual-output

flexible nozzle.

The standard 1/2" Loc-Line tubing should fit fine on the outlet. You can

pick this product up online, as well as at a local retailer.

Sincerely,

Ike

But when i took the stock directional control piece that come with the unit to homedepot to test fit it on a 1/2" peice of tube it was loose yet it fit perfect on the 3/4 peice. I ordered the 3/4" loc line and if worse come to worse i just use some teflon tape.

Enraged,

WARNING, incorrect!!!

The LOC-LINE fitting sizes is not the ID of the end of the tubing. It is the smallest internal size of the tubing between the joints. This also caused me confusion. I don't have my measurements here, but the OD of the input nozzle built into the wall of my 2006 APod 12 is NOT 1/2", but the '1/2" LOC-LINE' Parts fit it perfectly. You really don't want to teflon tape a 1/4" gap!!! Besides those 3/4" loc-line parts will look huge in an APod12.

PM me if you need more info I might be able to provide.

Enraged,

WARNING, incorrect!!!

The LOC-LINE fitting sizes is not the ID of the end of the tubing. It is the smallest internal size of the tubing between the joints. This also caused me confusion. I don't have my measurements here, but the OD of the input nozzle built into the wall of my 2006 APod 12 is NOT 1/2", but the '1/2" LOC-LINE' Parts fit it perfectly. You really don't want to teflon tape a 1/4" gap!!! Besides those 3/4" loc-line parts will look huge in an APod12.

PM me if you need more info I might be able to provide.

well damn already ordered the 3/4 so i guess i am stuck as i dont see a 1/2" to 3/4 anywhere

well damn already ordered the 3/4 so i guess i am stuck as i dont see a 1/2" to 3/4 anywhere

Yea just called they have already shipped my order so i will have to rig up something.

xxxbadfishxxx

Yeah i contacted Current USA also, actually it was Ike who i guess you talked too. He said to contact Pet Solutions, the people who i ordered the aquapod from. Well i emailed them, sent them a nice long email saying that i was under the assumption that i would receive a newer model, this was 4-5 days ago and no one responded. I will try again tommorow and keep you posted.

Jeff

Yeah i contacted Current USA also, actually it was Ike who i guess you talked too. He said to contact Pet Solutions, the people who i ordered the aquapod from. Well i emailed them, sent them a nice long email saying that i was under the assumption that i would receive a newer model, this was 4-5 days ago and no one responded. I will try again tommorow and keep you posted.

Jeff

I have everything i had left to order on the way (Altho oceanproaquatics is having computer problems so who know when my live rock will be processed but) So i ordered a 1/2" from auabuys while getting some other stuff and will just run it like that so at least my flow in split. so i will have the extra over sized locline for when i jump to a large oceanic all in one in a year or so.

As to the hood i am just going to figure out something to block the light on the inside and call it a day.

xxxbadfishxxx
I have everything i had left to order on the way (Altho oceanproaquatics is having computer problems so who know when my live rock will be processed but) So i ordered a 1/2" from auabuys while getting some other stuff and will just run it like that so at least my flow in split. so i will have the extra over sized locline for when i jump to a large oceanic all in one in a year or so.

As to the hood i am just going to figure out something to block the light on the inside and call it a day.

post pics when done :D

post pics when done :D

at this point i am hoping to have my live rock by friday!!!

oceanpro is still have computer problems so here i sit staring at my tank!!!

But i have 6 pounds marshall island rock

4 pounds Tonga Kaelini Rock

2 Pounds of tonga shelf rock ordered

Cant wait to begin aquascaping them when they finally get here.

Archived