Coral Vue Hydros

starting again

devil

well my first coral died because of infection (and because I didnt know how to care for it) and I want to try again.

the conditions in my tank are stable enough so I think I can put a coral in there.

conditions:

2 screw in pc bulbs

internal (about 200 galh)+external filtration (biological)

about 15-20 pounds of live rock

ph-8.5

alk-normal

nh3/4 non detectable

no2-non detectable

no3-non detectable

livestock-only a damsel and some polips on a rock.

I will add a cleanup crew as soon as Ill find some snails and shrimps. no hermits for me (you know why) unless Ill find some blue leged hermits (I dont think it will happen)

what can I put in sutch a tank?

xenias? polips? shrooms?

others: softies-not for me, hardies-no way(for now)! anemones-same as hardies. (all those corals will be added after half a year of good experience with beginner corals-if they will be added at all)

quiksilver5768

Screw in pc's? You mean the spiral ones? Im pretty siure that you cant keep corals under just that lighting since its the totally wrong spectrum. I made a fw planted hood with screw ins but plants like the yellow spectrum that those give off...how are those polyps doing with that light?

Also, what size tank do you have...a little more info on your lighting and tank would give me a beter idea on what you can keep in there.

it is a 12 gal tank-rock and sand=10 gal.

16" high/deep, 23" long, 10" wide.

the lights are 2 screw in pc bulbs 65w each. if the spectrum is not right do I need to change the light?

I have a metal haleide lamp. can I use it to replace the light I have now?

the polips are now recowering from a hermit attack (he ate a few polips) they opening only half a way but they werent opening at all in the begining. I had a mushroom in there in the begining but the hermit (I think) ate it after 2 weeks. before that it was doing great with the leather but after the shroom disapierd the leather got

the infection.

hope you will reply soon!

devil

(Edited by devil at 10:42 am on May 7, 2002)

Devil,

What Light bulbs are you using?  

Really, and don't take this the wrong way, You need to do some research before you start involving animals. for corals Lighting is key. yes That is alot of watts but if they are not the right spectrum you might as well stock your tank with 10 dollar bills and see the same results.

When you say you have a MH what wattage and spectrum bulb do you have for that?

If you dont know the spectrum of your bulbs NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use them in your tank Unless they are for ornemental or moonlight use.

Lemme know,

Toy

all the lights are in the same spectrom in the yelowish regular color

the MH I have has two bulbs 35W each that are more powerfull than the light I have now

as I understand I need other bulbs in the right spectrom but what spectrom do I need?

what bulbs do I need?

where to find them?

35watt MH? i dont know if MH is available in that wattage. Your descrption yellowish color is inadequate. You need to find bulbs with the proper KELVIN rating, Generally anything between 6500K-10,000k will work.

FamousGuy

devil, go to hellolights.com get a 13w pc retrokit with the true actinic bulb included for starters (really cheap), better yet get the 2x13w retro kit from ahsupply.com(costs more and the bulbs arent included i think), then get the true actinic bulb from hellolights.com and a 6400k bulb as well.  Do it asap you'll get good results!

OK thank's!

I have a pc lamp so can I gust add it to the screw in bulbs? or do I need to remove the bulbs completle?

well that's ends the lightning question.

what now?

what else do I need?

will a fan be suficient to cool a nano if the temp'(of the air) dont get over 90F?

thank's again

devil

the PC screw in bulbs arent doing anything but adding heat to your tank, take them out.

There is no bulb for a 35W MH, I'm thinking you have Halogen there. Not suitable for coral growth.

For a 12gallon tank I would say you will need at LEAST a 55W Power compact flourescent fixture for good coral health.

As for your other question yes a fan should work fine for cooling your tank, however the evaporation in a 12gal can be problematic, you will prolly need some type of auto topoff system to ensure stability.

On another note, could you please post different questions in another post? your threads are turning into long rambling Super questions that are hard to navigate or answer. I'm not trying to be mean, please dont take it that way.

TIA,

Toy

(Edited by Toyfreek at 3:45 am on May 8, 2002)

FamousGuy

devil, get rid of all of your lights they're bad for your tank, take the screw ins out of your hood.  Go for the pcs i recommended above, or if you want to spend  alittle bit more you can order a 32 watt smartlamp pc kit, they even sell it on this website in the store.  They cost around 50 dollars, but at least at the bare minimum get that 13 watt kit from hellolights.com, that will be enough for the polyps for now

Famous Guy,

I really don't think 13W in a twelve gallon or even 32W is sufficiant lighting for any corals. My 32 Watt smartlamp is barely enough for my 7gal with a 4" sandbed and corals placed high on my rocks.

Toy

FamousGuy

what are you talking about...i've heard a lot of people claim good results with a 32 on standard 10 nanos,(therefore that should be plenty for a 7) unless you're talking about sps or clams.  You know what devil, forget the pcs, go get a 2x250watt metal halide system for the sake of the polyps

FamousGuy

I apologize....if you want more than shrooms and polyps toy is right for that tank, since its almost 2 feet maybe think about a 55 watt smartlamp, its not much more than the 32.  ditch the 13 watt single idea, i thought you had a 6g for some retarded reason

Famous guy,

You told him to get a single or double 13W for a twelve gallon tank. 13 watts over a 12 is not much double that isn't much either. 13W PC's are only as intense as a 13W no matter how many you stack in there, whereas the higher wattage bulbs afford more intensity. I dont know where the 10gal tank came into play I'm lost there.

Hope that clears that up for you,

Toy

so how mutch wattage do I need??? is a single 32 watt is enough or do I need the stronger ones? (for shrooms!)

I got an idea about the top off sistem so dont worry about that.

I think I can get some results with what I got cant I?(I mean exewpt the light)

so if we finished with the light what do I need now?

BTW it is not 2 feet high! it is only about 12-13 inches of water column and I plan to put the future corals on top of the live rock.

quiksilver5768

Hey toy,

Famousguy has a point...think about chris' tanks. His come with a 32 watt PC on a 10 gal. 32 watts can easily grow shrooms on a 10 gal. I would get 2x13 watt pc on your 12. Talk to mermaid123 about her 12 gal tank. Her 12 keeps shrooms and polyps well but if you want any LPS then you should go with a 36 or 55

I notice we sort of lost devil in this whole discussion. I think we forgot about him. I bet he's totally confused at this point.

Devil,

Basically....

1. Do some research

2. Take out the screw-ins and don't replace them

3. You do not have MH's dont use them either (whatever they are)

4. Get at LEAST 26W (preferably 52+W) of PC light in the spectrum range of 6400K-10000K (prfereably in the 10000K range)

hey Guys,

10 gal=32w

12gal= 26w?

I'm afraid I just dont get the math there.

I have the 32 Watt Smartlamp and IMO it is barely enough for shrooms and polyps in my 7 gal. why limit yourself to shrooms only when you know He's gonna want more in the near future?

Toy

OK thanks!

I will get some pc and maybe I will find screw ins in the right spectrom.

well do I need to know any thing else before I start again?

quiksilver5768

Just to tell you...none of those screw ins hit the right spectrum. They are al for indoor house use...not reef tank use.

Toy,

How can 32 watts on a 7 gal barely grow shrooms? I was just suggestion 2x13 watts because it seems like he doesnt wanna spend much and stay small. He said all he wants is shrroms and polyps and im giving him a cheap way to keep them. But anyway how do you know he'll want more...i mean yes it is tempeting but if he doesnt want to spend the money...im just giving him a cheap way to keep many soft corals...

FamousGuy

quiksilver thanks.  DEVIL bottom line!  if you just want polyps and mushrooms, I dont know what kind of money you are looking to spend but the 32w smartlamp will do the job.  After the total cost of the 2x13 they are about the same, except the 32s has more power so i suggest you get that, ffexpress.com has them and so does the nano-reef store.  it SHOULD be able to even support some hardy softies possibly

FamousGuy

p.s. if you have enough money and plan on softies get the 55 from ffexpress, its about 24" but otherwise the 32's fine for now

Quick,

I dunno how, it just is. My shrooms dont split and My leather is turning darker. I thought for sure it would be enough but it's just not producing the same results as more intense lighting has for me in the past. Ok for example I have some brilliant blue shrooms, I have been told that the blue is the natural UV screen the species  I have uses. They are only blue when I view them from the top of the tank now they are purple. I'm not saying they aren't living they are just not doing as well as I like them to. I'm trying to figure out how to build a bowed hood so I can put in a 55W at least. I would really like a 70MH like lunchbucket but my god have you seen the prices of the Bulbs?

anyway those are my observations of the 32W Smartlamp in a 7gal Mini Bow.

Toy

I think I will get the 55W pc or maybe even more powerful light in the future

for now the 55W is enough I think.

thank's everyone!

Archived