Top Shelf Aquatics

Dwarf lions?

Alexraptor

Alexraptor

Are there any lion fish that are suitable for a 10-15(or 43 liters) gallon tank?

If not are there any other stunning fish similar that you might recommend? :)

No, 20 gallon minimum for the smallest, a Fu-Man-Chu (spelling?), which will get about 3-4 inches in length.

I’ve recently saw one in a LFS. The fact that they do get to 3" – 4” in length sounds misleading. At first it seem like a small fish but in person, it’s actually pretty thick or bulky compared to, let’s say, a typically clown fish that’s 4”.

I have to agree with Travis; don’t get one unless you have at least a 20 – 25g tank.

Sorry, I’m not familiar with any other stunning fish that’s suitable for the size you’re looking for.

All Lions create a heavy Bio-Load, the fu man chu requires 30g they can reach 5-6 inches. They can also be tough to wean over to frozen food and they ship poorly.

Unfortunate there is not a predator that I can think of that will fit in a 10-15g.

don't be misled, mr. p-- you can get away with having a dwarf lion in a 15g...just make sure that it is the only fish. i kept a dwarf in my eclipse 12 for awhile and he did perfectly fine-- granted, he did enjoy a 29g more than my 12g but he loved the 12g when he was small (less than 4"). :)

make sure that you have a good skimmer and can stay on top of the water quality. you have to feed these guys meaty foods and that will throw you parameters out of whack very quickly.

EDIT: by dwarf lion, i mean fu manchu-- i think mine fu manchu grew over the 'normal' size and was about 6" when he died.

Not to get into the whole fish and tank size debate, but would you keep a rhombus (assuming you live up to your namesake, Mr. Piranha) in a 30 or even 50g tank? Like a dwarf lion, they aren't the most active fish, but at some point you got give the fish some room to live and breath. I can certainly live in a 400 sf box in New York, but for mental and probably physical health a nice 1200-1400 sf pad would be ideal.

Alexraptor
Not to get into the whole fish and tank size debate, but would you keep a rhombus (assuming you live up to your namesake, Mr. Piranha) in a 30 or even 50g tank? Like a dwarf lion, they aren't the most active fish, but at some point you got give the fish some room to live and breath. I can certainly live in a 400 sf box in New York, but for mental and probably physical health a nice 1200-1400 sf pad would be ideal.

Actually, i keep a single Pygocentrus Nattereri(common red belly), approximatley 40-50g

Charlie97L

yeah, but you can leave your 400 sq ft box and go to a cafe, or outside. :)

Actually, i keep a single Pygocentrus Nattereri(common red belly), approximatley 40-50g

sure, kept them, caribe and rhoms as well but the principle still applies. Would you keept a Nat long-term in a 15g?

Alexraptor
sure, kept them, caribe and rhoms as well but the principle still applies. Would you keept a Nat long-term in a 15g?

thats a difficult comparison, because theres slight a size difference between a 4-6 inch dwarf lion and a 12 inch pygo :P

FishFreak77

Mr. Piranha- You could keep a small frogfish such as a clown frogfish in as low as a 10 gallon. You do have to watch the water levels though. They poo A LOT :lol: , but aren't that hard to keep. I almost got one but decided to get a community reef instead! You might can even keep a LeafFish. I know Fishfreak218 kept 2 LeafFish in her 12 gallon.

Archived