Neptune Controller Vs. Reef Keeper

mr.almeida

ReefApprentice

Do you have a heater?

Could solve a lot of issues.

mr.almeida

The problem is that my tank will fluctuate, so I'll go out on a limb and say that 85% of the time it'll be running at low 80's temp. and then I have days like today where the temp will randomly drop. So I was going to get a heater and the ICA chiller and then buy a controller to hopefully obtain a solid 80 degree temp.

75 is actually a good temp. I'd try to keep the reef around 75-76 if possible (keep your fans on all the time.) or just hook them up to a timer, when the lights go on so do the fans

i'm with nip, here. i prefer keeping my tank as far away from the 80+ degree range. i try to keep the most stable environment possible for my corals and fish (my tank stays around 78.6-79.9) using two iceprobe chillers and a fan when the metal halide comes on.

also, go buy a heater, man! rapid temperature changes can and will kill corals/fish.

but to answer your question about whether to buy the neptune or reef keeper, I am extremely happy with the reef keeper, some of the best money I have spent on the system. I leave almost every weekend, and the reef keeper has allowed me to leave without worry that everything will get out of hand. I also have an ato that helps the automation of things, but really the reefkeeper is great. I have no experience with the neptune, sorry. I should also say with just my fans for evap cooling and a heater, I keep my tank (with the aide of the reef keeper) at a steady 79.4 - 79.9 all day, everyday, even in the heat spell we had last week that got to 100. Good luck, hope this helps

Archived