Cultivated Reef

My Clown is in the Emergency Room...

mr.almeida

mr.almeida

I'm so mad right now. Today when I left for work my tank temperature was 83 F and when I got home it dropped all the way to 75 F. When I went to turn out the lights on the aquarium, I noticed that my clown was missing. This is weird because he's always in the front. So I begin looking in all the crevices of LR and still can't find him. From there I lifted up pieces of LR and he dashed out doing backloops and 360 twirls. He was swimming out of control and doing barrel rolls. I'm assuming this is due to the temperature change. I've been checking my parameters religiously and they have read 0 across the boards a Ph Level of 8 and salinity of 1.023 for the past 3 days.

Living in South Florida I wouldn't expect my temperature to go so low as the days are humid and for the past 2 weeks my temp in the tank has been in the low 80's. What kind of controller would you reccomend so that the cold issue doesn't happen again? I was thinking of a ReefKeeper or something similar. At the moment my little guy is in a gallon container with an airstone keeping him alive. He hasn't flat lined yet and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he'll pull through but right now he's real pale. I guess I'll be getting a gold striped maroon clown to replace him.

ReefApprentice

Hmmm....the only thing is to feed him really nutiritious foods and to give him a stressless enviroment.

Hmmm....the only thing is to feed him really nutiritious foods and to give him a stressless enviroment.

I wish when I'm doing barrell rolls and flipping out someone would put me in a stressless enviroment.

Hope the little guy makes it.

burtnnator07

Definitely get a heater. Set it a degree or two what your tank normally stays at so that you don't have the dramatic temperature drops.

mr.almeida

Well for some odd reason today the temp in my tank dropped drastically, but it was scorching hot. The tank ran a conistant low 80's and for some reason dropped all the way to 75 F. I guess I'll need a heater and the ICA chiller, because now I have both problems. I'll also get a ReefKeeper or Neptune Jr. Controller. BTW my tank is at 78.7 right now and I put the clown in a net breeder. He's still hanging in, I really hope little man pulls through. :unsure::tears:

I'm surprise you didn't get a heater at all... they are so cheap and required.

I don't know a single person who doesn't have a heater in their saltwater tank. I feel sorry for the fish, he didn't have a chance.

mr.almeida
I'm surprise you didn't get a heater at all... they are so cheap and required.

I don't know a single person who doesn't have a heater in their saltwater tank. I feel sorry for the fish, he didn't have a chance.

Well like I stated before I live in South Florida and it only get's cold in the winter time. It is damn hot out now a days. At one point my tank was 88 F... It was too late for me to do anything, because when I got home from work 8 hours have already passed. What would I do use my Jedi Knight Mind Tricks to control the heater from work?

R.I.P. CLOWN

Died at 12:52 A.M. EST June 8th

Sux! Sorry for your loss. I have the ReefKeeper 2 and highly recommend it, very nice piece of hardware. But you you'll still need to buy a regular heater. So just get a regular one ASAP for now and set it for a degree or two below your tanks average temp to prevent anymore big drops. I do think the RK2 is a better temp controller then using your heater's built in thermostat because it works in tenths of degrees. You can see what your tanks max temp is during the day, and then set the heater to kick on a few tenths below it to keep the water temp very stable. Not to mention the ability to program your powerheads, day/night setups, and more.

burtnnator07

I bought a small $8 fan at target for my heat issues. I just point it as the side of the tank and it cools the tank a good 3-4 degrees. If you don't have major heat problems you could try that before spending all that money on a chiller.

I find that I use my fan more in the winter (because the house is warmer) and my heater more in the summer (air conditioning).

Sorry about your clown :(.

Archived