ReefCleaners.org

Oceanic 30g cube build

SurfsUP

Been reading on here for the last 3 months and just started on a Oceanic 30g cube reef tank. Currently I have a 18g all in one nano and was not happy with the way it was designed and built. Didn't expect much since it was made in China. Then I saw the Oceanic 30g cubes at Petsmart about 2 months ago and got one with stand for only $200 total. Since then I've been slowly designing and planning my new reef. I've had 6 reef tank in the last 12 years and learned quit a bit.

Here is my new 30g with some holes I drilled with my friend's diamond bit. Man it was scary drilling glass, since it was my first time.

large.gallery_20468_3_1356252257_23164.j

With new overflow built by local tank builder ATM, they did the sphere tank for David Blane's underwater thing.

large.gallery_20468_3_1356252257_23136.j

Full shot of my new tank.

large.gallery_20468_3_1356252257_23137.j

Man you guys should check out the overflow, awesome. They used 1/2" acrylic to reinforce the overflow. The whole overflow weights in at about 10 to 15 lbsl.

What do you guys think so far?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chupacabras

I just picked up a new Petsmart $200 special 30g as well... the price just can't be beat for an Oceanic.

The only critique I'd have, and it's really a preference thing, is that the overflow takes up a lot more real estate then I'd like; it just doesn't seem to me that an overflow needs to have that level of reinforcement.

Of course, I've never been able to get over my largely unfounded fear of back drilled tanks so my preferences are quite a bit different. From an engineering perspective, that is a very nicely done overflow and I'm sure the tank will look fantastic when completed!

That's what I thought when I went to pick it up, but now I'm glad cause I can access the space in the overflow and I added a output bulkhead afterwards, as you can see in the pic. I will either connect a powerhead to it and can hide it in the overlow. My whole goal with this tank was to keep it clean as possible and not have all this equipment showing within the tank. The bulkhead in the overflow is really cool with this nozzle you can adjust flow to different directions. Now I am in the process of trying to figure out the plumbing and I have a new custom sump being built by Doss at acrylicsumps.com.

Here is my list of equipment:

Ocean 30g/ stand

ATM overflow

Acrylicsumps.com custom sump

JBJ Viper K2 70w

Ortbit dual 40w pc

30 lbs of Fiji Totoka, great looking rock

20 lbs of Kaelini

Quiet One 3000 for return

In the process of ordering later:

Euro-reef CS80

OM squirt 2-way

What do you guys think of the Euro-reef CS80? I've been watching the bid on ebay for a used CS80 but people are carzy for overbidding it, right now its at $177. I can buy one new for only $198 shipped.

Spent the whole day yesterday putting the plumbing together, and a few trips to Lowe's and Home depot to get all the right plumbing parts. The plumbing is almost done and now its waiting time for my sump to be done and then I can finish the rest of the setup. Here is pic of what I've got so far:

large.gallery_20468_3_1356252257_23306.j

Here are some pics of my temporary 18g nano for now:

large.gallery_20468_2_1356252261_23730.j

large.gallery_20468_2_1356252261_23731.j

Some really cool Orange Rics I got from my friend.

large.gallery_20468_18_1356252261_23729.

I can tell you right now you aren't going to be happy with the 70w Viper, even with the extra PCs. I have the 150W Viper on my 33 cube and I wish it was a bit brighter.

DKreefkeepers

Oh man your setup is going to be nice. I like the overflow a lot! You are going to have to get major pics of everything when it is running.

Man, I learned the hard way on the 70w Viper. I only turn the damn thing on for 1 week on my 18g and the bulb already burned out. It will be the last time I buy anything from JBJ. The Orbit light (2-40w) from Current is great and it is even brighter than the 70w HQI from JBJ.

The little bulkhead in the overflow is awesome with this adjustable nozzle. The hydor-flo fit perfect in it and now I can adjust how it directs it flow to different spots in the tank. I have to take some pics to show how it fits.

Here is a pic of the Hydor-flow hooked up to my adjustable nozzle on the bulkhead. It was a perfect fit without any modifications at all.

large.gallery_20468_3_1356252257_23370.j

The white clips are for holding live rock against the walls on the overflow. Its just regular clips to hold wires against walls and I just remove the double sided tape on them and used silicone instead. I tried to find black one but no one here carries them.

I spent the whole saturday morning setting up the tank with water and rocks. I was so excited that I woke up at 6:30am and finally finished at noon. I have a maxi-jet 1000 in the right corner to just circulate the water right now but will take it out and add more rock in the right corner, when my new sump from Doss at acrylicsumps arrives. Its working great so far and the water this morning was crystal clear with just the Maxi-jet. I really liked how it turned out and just need one more piece at the top to create another ledge effect. I used mostly zip ties to hold the rock onto the overflow and will epoxy the rocks together later to make them stronger. What type of epoxy can I use that is reef safe?

Here is my work, what do you guys think?

large.gallery_20468_3_1356252261_23508.j

large.gallery_20468_3_1356252261_23509.j

I used 3 large table top rocks (dead SPS colonies) to create the ledge effect. I just need one more at the top to finish it off. I tried to do something different this time by stacking them on top of each other and having the front open. The tank looks even cool when you look at it from the side and see the ledge effect. I will take more photos later.

SurfsUP said:

Here is a pic of the Hydor-flow hooked up to my adjustable nozzle on the bulkhead. It was a perfect fit without any modifications at all.

Did you cut off that back 'flange' on the hydorflow? I was thinking about doing that to mine......I have no idea what purpose it serves.

It's used to hold a sponge filter in place in Hydor's other filter system. I originally cut my first Hydor-flo with a razor but I found that it look messy and found out by accident that if you just snap it off with your fingers, it looks much cleaner.

Thanks everyone for your nice compliments!

I got a chance to take some more pics today with just the Orbit lighting with 2-40w pc's.

nUgZ- I really like your lighting mod. I was just thinking of the same idea with my Orbitz. I was just afraid of the heat created by the HQI and what it would do to the plastic housing of the Orbitz. I really don't like how the stock Viper is held over the tank and how it looks like its going to tip into the tank one day. Was thinking of suspending the viper with some wires but now after seeing yours I might consider putting it into the Orbitz.

Here's a front photo I just took with a little overhead view angle to give a better view of the rock stacking. I really like how this photo turned out.

large.gallery_20468_3_1356252261_23518.j

And here is a right side view of the tank.

large.gallery_20468_3_1356252261_23519.j

I took a couple more pic's today of the left side of the tank. I also ordered the final table top live rock for the top area and will take some pics of it when its finally topped off.

large.gallery_20468_2_1356252261_23543.j

large.gallery_20468_2_1356252261_23544.j

Great looking tank....it's going to be awesome! I've just set up a new 30 cube too and am currently working on the rock work. It's a big change having to stand on a stool to get thing set up on the bottom of the tank, lol.

Great looking tank....it's going to be awesome! I've just set up a new 30 cube too and am currently working on the rock work. It's a big change having to stand on a stool to get thing set up on the bottom of the tank, lol.

Funny you mention that! I was thinking the same thing as I was setting up the rocks with a stool as well.

Chupacabras

I'm 6'2" and get wet to my pits when working in the 30. Between the tall stand and the deep tank it's quite a bit different to work in... maybe it'll help me keep my hands out since I have to take my shirt off to play with it heh.

That is great looking rock. Buy from lfs or online? I am also awaiting sump from Doss for my 30G Oceanic cube. Just ordered the sump last week.

That is great looking rock. Buy from lfs or online? I am also awaiting sump from Doss for my 30G Oceanic cube. Just ordered the sump last week.

I love this rock! Its got some great shapes to work with but its alittle expensive. I got them all from ebay but the seller has them available on his site and it can be more than ebay sometimes. They range from $35 to over $100 for a piece.

Archived