brownish film?

ltzryder21

ltzryder21

I have a really thin layer of a brownish film on the surface of my water! What is this and is it bad! There is a tiny bit of build up around the power chord of my power head. Is it some kind of bacteria or toxins??? How do I remove it and stop if from happening???

sounds like you need an overflow or a protein skimmer. it could be just debris, very dirty debris in the air falling into your water. maybe a good water change would help?

ltzryder21
sounds like you need an overflow or a protein skimmer. it could be just debris, very dirty debris in the air falling into your water. maybe a good water change would help?

I did a water change two days ago! 3g(10%) I do that every week!!! So it could be dust in the air??? Maybe I should make a plexy glass top?

If you don’t have a skimmer, you may want to invest in one, preferably a surface skimmer of some sort that will eliminate your brown scum.

If the scum is dirt from the air and your seeing it in the tank you should see dust on other areas around the tank. Try to collect some of the brown surface scum and pour it into sitting water; if it makes large bubbles, then its protein and will eventually reduce the water/air interface lowering the oxygen concentration in your tank.

Archived