What should ideally go in first

trojans

Well I've been cycling my 24g nano for 3 weeks and all params are good. I'm going on vacation next week for 10 days and when I get back I want to start adding stuff to my tank. Should I start with fish first or with corals?

steelhealr

I disagree with lgreen (sorry). Nano reefs have extremely small volumes and managing one's nutrient import, export and nitrate levels can be a challenge. Many corals are dependent on excellent water conditions.

When you add fish to a tank, you add ammonia, fish food and fish poop. In other foods, you start to 'futz' with the purity of your water. For many (not all) newcomers to nano-reefing, this poses a challenge. My opinion on this is that if you plan to have fish, you should add them LONG before you add your corals. This method allows you to get a handle on your water husbandry techniques. If you can keep fish healthy, feed them and keep your nitrates down, then you'll know that you can maintain the necessary water conditions to keep your corals healthy.

In addition, during the time you are adding fish, your tank is passing thru the immaturity phase...the time when cyano, hair algae, etc, can hit your tank. You also give yourself time to research your corals and their needs. Try NOT to be a coral 'plunker'. Be patient. Resist the urge to have an instantaneous reef. Beauty comes slowly in nano reefs....disaster comes QUICKLY. Save yourself the headache of the 'help, my corals are dying' post. Good luck. SH

If I'm reading right, fish before coral... All fish, or the initial first one? And what about fish like a Clown which generally uses coral to host in (in nono evironments).

FishFreak77

I agree with Steelhealr. When you add fish, all of your levels will go up in the first bit of time. You need to wait until your levels have adjusted before you get corals.

Thanks for the info guys. Steelhlr, I've been meaning to thank you for your great posts on starting a nano. Once I read that, I rushed out and bought one. Great job.

RayWhisperer
What should ideally go in first
trojans

Usually the head.... I can't see it happening any other way, without removing the organ completely. ;)

SCUBA BUZZ

I Did it wrong LOL i added 3 or 4 corals i realy like (did lots of research prior and tank had cycled for 3 months prior to adding anything other then clean up crew, LR, and LS. Then i added 2 a sea mat polyp, and an awsome mushroom left it like that for a while let it balance the i added a more and more corals almost all the corals i have now. then i added my fish. I still think that was a mistake becuase i'm still fighting algea to this day (3 month later). Still have had no fatalities in regards to corals or fish, lost a shrimp :( , but it was my fault not the tanks.

Do yourself a favor add the fish first get the algea and cyano under control then add corals SLOWLY. and most importantly never get lazy with water changes

Archived