Top Shelf Aquatics

...and in the begining, there was a 2.5 gal rimless pico.

SeaMonster

SeaMonster

2.5 gal rimless hagen tank

Elite mini filter

2 lbs crushed coral

Marina digi thermometer

10 watt screw in 50/50 ( in a lamp, better lights to come...ideas?)

and a dash of instant ocean

pics to come.

comments and help always welcome

all your tanks have made we want to try this...thanks guys...and gals

:)

irishtexan

Later on you might want to use a 20 watt 50/50. That way you can keep more corals. Can't wait to see pics!

texan

SeaMonster

Yes I was thinking about the 20 watt...but they seem to be hard to find.

Wish I lived in the US again, things were so easy to get ahold of...and you could get small frags...up here all you can get in most shops are med to large size for $40 cdn and up...and they won't sell you the small bits in the display tanks. It ###es me off to no end.

My LFS is going to be getting some clip on light in the 32 watt range (i could not get more info than that) by the end of june.

*edit*

The Elite mini filter really moves some water(58 gph and it was only $10, the fluval 1 is only 50 pgh at $25...I can see the the water flow ( too bad it is laminar ), very nice surfice ripple too. Nice and tiny so as not too be an eye sore in the tank and has an adjustable flow control. I could add a second, but that might be too much current.

I have an Elite mini in my 3 gallon -- I love it - had to dial back the flow though because everyone sat at the highest center most point of the tank -- the 'eye' of the storm so to say heheh

can't wait for pics!

SeaMonster

Yeah I could see that...I am really thinking about adding a second Elite and playing with the flow on both to get some turbulant flow.

Damn rechargeables...pics tonight. :)

SeaMonster

Thanks for the kind words texan...I am hoping it will be an awsome pico too.

It is just water and the tank right now, but I'll put up a few pics tonight.

I hope to have some LR buy this weekend.

I've hand a few FO and FOWLR and full size reefs, but this is my first small tank.

PH 8.0 as of right now.

SeaMonster
nice little tank you got there! keep us posted on the lighting situation (as i am interested myself!)

Thank you sandlot13...and I shall indeed keep the updates coming.

SeaMonster
I like it! It's looking great so far. Cannot wait to see it more stocked! Keep us posted.

texan

I shall, I shall...thank for all the support and comments...keep em coming.

I'll have the LR in and maybe other stuff by friday or saterday.

I was going to go the very easy coral way with this tank, thinking I could not keep much with the weak water flow in most small tanks like this...but the Elite mini filter is reall making some waves (pun intended), I could add a second and and do some really cool stuff.

Any thoughts on what I could do with such great water movement?

I have the same tank sitting around,i think i might fill it up.

You really should man...I had my doubts, but it seems to be a really nice little tank. I am almost sad I didn't get the 3 gallon.

deacon hemp

You really should man...I had my doubts, but it seems to be a really nice little tank. I am almost sad I didn't get the 3 gallon.

I did set it up but my powerhead overheated it! so i tore it down.I'll have to figure it out.

SeaMonster

I did set it up but my powerhead overheated it! so i tore it down.I'll have to figure it out.

Try that Hagen Elite mini filter I have in mine...it is really small and my tank sits right at 80.

It is smaller than any powerhead I have seen and one of the smallest internal filters. I have a feeling I will be buying a few more of them for other applications.

58 gph with an adjustable nozzle and flow control. $9 cdn, so most likely a bit cheaper in the US.

I picked up my Hagen Elite mini at Petco for $9.99 US.

still great bang for the buck for a small tank!

SeaMonster

Well yeah, $9.99...so it is the same price there...cool

JeremyChase

I've been running the same Elite in my 3 gal for 5 months; no problems. I took the sponge out of it recently because it gets NASTY. I do worry that it will crap out one day, but two of those would be too much flow, and I'm out of room in my tank!

SeaMonster; Looking good... When you get some liverock things will start to pick up quickly, but you need to get a HEATER! Get a good one, otherwise you can cook stuff.. Nano-reef recommends the Ebo-Jager(which I have on my 3 gal), but they take up a good amount of space.. I recently got this Finnex heater(100watt for my 10 gal), but I'd get the 50w for a 2.5. These titanium ones are $21-23 online... The beneift is that you can control the heater remotely and the thermal heater in the tank is considerably smaller...

So far the Finnex has been good, but I have much more confidence in the Ebo-Jager in not cooking my tank; it is just ugly looking in there :(

fi-hmg-100.jpg

In so far as lights, your options are wide open because you are rim/topless. How many inches wide is your tank? There are plenty of lights out there..... My zoos are very happy under a 13w CF, but more is always BETTER!

-Jer

SeaMonster
I've been running the same Elite in my 3 gal for 5 months; no problems. I took the sponge out of it recently because it gets NASTY. I do worry that it will crap out one day, but two of those would be too much flow, and I'm out of room in my tank!

SeaMonster; Looking good... When you get some liverock things will start to pick up quickly, but you need to get a HEATER! Get a good one, otherwise you can cook stuff.. Nano-reef recommends the Ebo-Jager(which I have on my 3 gal), but they take up a good amount of space.. I recently got this Finnex heater(100watt for my 10 gal), but I'd get the 50w for a 2.5. These titanium ones are $21-23 online... The beneift is that you can control the heater remotely and the thermal heater in the tank is considerably smaller...

So far the Finnex has been good, but I have much more confidence in the Ebo-Jager in not cooking my tank; it is just ugly looking in there :(

fi-hmg-100.jpg

In so far as lights, your options are wide open because you are rim/topless. How many inches wide is your tank? There are plenty of lights out there..... My zoos are very happy under a 13w CF, but more is always BETTER!

-Jer

Yea I need to get some good lights asap...I am still pondering. I do have my eye on a Hydor heater...a super thin ceramic one...it's like $20. None of my tanks seems to dip below 80 F, even without heaters...but I don't want to risk it.

It is bloody odd that I live in a huge city and can't find lights I want/like. I was hoping to get 18 to 32 watts. I am very excited about this...If anyone has thoughts about what I should/could keep please...I would love the input.

Thanks for your words Jeremy...:)

PS I got about 1 inch of evap in the week the tank has been running. Was testing it out.

Archived