Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Grape Caulerpa

wooz29

the one on the left isnt caulerpa and the one on the right is Halmeda [sp] which needs calcium

What is it then?

One Eyed Bunny

The left is also commonly refered to as red grape algae. It's similar to most red algaes in that it not photosynthetic and feeds off of excessive nutrients in the water. This type is almost strictly ornamental. Herbivores will eat this at will as it is rather tasty, at least to them.

The left is also commonly refered to as red grape algae. It's similar to most red algaes in that it not photosynthetic and feeds off of excessive nutrients in the water. This type is almost strictly ornamental. Herbivores will eat this at will as it is rather tasty, at least to them.

Ding ding, try again. :)

Red algaes, also called kelps, are all photosynthetic, although they're found in places where green and brown algaes aren't; often in deeper, darker environs, or in surgy, intertidal zones.

One Eyed Bunny

You're right. They absorb blue light, and reflect red, making them look red. I'm a newbie for posting this without thinking. ^_^

No worries.

As for an ID, it does look like a red grape kelp, but there's a few different species, so no definitive. It is most likely VERY photosynthetic, meaning the more light the better; other than that, there's no special requirements for it.

As FF218 said, though, the Halimeda is calcareous, so you need to keep an eye on your levels - if it's the only thing using calcium for growth in the tank, regular water changes should give it all it needs. Be careful of it going sexual, though.

Ding ding, try again. :)

Red algaes, also called kelps, are all photosynthetic, although they're found in places where green and brown algaes aren't; often in deeper, darker environs, or in surgy, intertidal zones.

Um, kelp is a brown algae. The closest thing to a true kelp that you can successfully keep would be the sargassum types.

I wouldn't worry much about Halimeda going sexual, unless your tank is chock full of it.

Um, kelp is a brown algae. The closest thing to a true kelp that you can successfully keep would be the sargassum types.
I said they were called kelps (see Live Aquaria and the like), I didn't say they were kelps, but thnks for the clarification.
  • 6 years later...

Archived