Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2 small items - rice grains and micro dusters?

SanDiegoIllini

SanDiegoIllini

Got a couple small things in my tank, wondering what they are.

First, a bunch of small things, the size of a half grain of rice, and shaped like a rice grain, small oval capsule. Coloration is like a honeybee's body. Mostly yellow-ish brown, but black on one end (total black, about 1/4 of 'grain'). They don't seem to have eyes, legs, etc. Found a few floating in the tank. Found a bunch more when I took out some rocks to scrub them. Can't find any on the bottom, they only float. If they only float, where are they coming from? Some kind of invert poop? Don't think they are any kind of pod or food, I've seen the clowns eat & spit out.

Also, saw a ring of about 8 iridescent threads poking out of a hole in a LR I've had for about a week. (Came with the tank, which has been set up for way longer). Threads are 1/4 inch long, arranged in a single layer ring, thin like the thinnest fishing line. Almost clear, but reflect rainbow colors. Retracted during water change. Came back later. Coming out of perfectly round hole in LR. Is this some kind of baby duster?

Again, sorry for no pics. I took dozens, but my camera isn't good enough, you can't see anything but fuzz. If you can point me to pics, I'll confirm or say what is different about what I see. Really appreciate it.

Thanks.

SanDiegoIllini
the second one sounds like a duster but its hard to tell with no pics I dont know about the rice things ;)

try this link

Hitch hiker home page

That page was interesting, but didn't describe anything that I see.

The 'rice grains' may not be an animal, but the shell or casing of something (which is why they float???) They look hollow when I stare at them. So maybe they are the husk or eggshell or something? I don't see anything that it could be from.

• 3 weeks later...
SanDiegoIllini
thats a new one for me, you could try

http://www.melevsreef.com/

or

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/index.html

Gone through that and lots of other searching, still no ID on the rice grain husks. However, it's been about a week since I've seen one, so hopefully it was some kind of die-off from a LR or something, and it's done.

I'd still like to know what it was though. Not knowing good or bad is almost worse than bad, because you dont know what course of action to take!

Archived