Green hair algea winning the battle

NanoBound

As you all know I am not new to salt water , but this is my very first bought with green hair algea. Here is what has happened:

A liitle over a month ago I bought a green emerald crab and a 5 lb. piece of live rock. And yes it has some hair algea on it, but I figured the crab, snails and hermits would take care of this easily. Boy did I learn my leasson!!!!!

To make matters worst the green emerald went back to the lfs because he like my zoos alot better.

Now it has grown long and I am continually trimming it back. But wait, it has seeded and spead like a made dog!!!! The stuff is sprouting up everywere, even covering the whole back wall of my tank. Now my tank is a 90 gallon bow front with around 80 lbs of live rock. So it is not possiable to take it out and scrub it.

Now I have been using ro water all this time, and yes there are some phosphates. So I have purchased an brand new ro/di2 filter off ebay and it will be here on Friday which should remedy this problem, except for what is in my tank at this point in time.

:huh: Now my question is will it go away on its own once I do some massive water changes(40%) every 4 days for about a total of 4-5 water changes and add a phosphate filter to help remove what phosphates that are remaining in the tank?

I cannot see shutting the lights down completely as I have a ton of zoos in the tank. I figure, no phosphates=no food=no green hair algae.

At this point in time I have no Turbo snails. Do I need to get 1 of these for every 5 gallons? I have heard they donot live for very long, and fall over and cannot get back up, is this true?

Plus I also have some B-inonic gallons on its way to, not sure if this will help with the hair algea, but it sure will help with the calcium/alk levels. :D

I also am looking into buying a 39 gl. refugium with a protein skimmer. As this will help alittle, I hope.

clifford513

My 30g went through that gha stage much as you have described. It had bubbles in it and was everywhere. It eventually ran its course, not to say I didn't try a few ways of ridding the tank of it. After alot of research, I found that salinity swings can cause gha outbreaks. I added an ato and in a couple months, problem solved. I also forced my self to only feed the fish every 3-4 days and sparingly then. Just my .02. Good luck!

One Eyed Bunny

If you wanna kill it just get a decent sized cleaning crew and then turn your lights off for about 3 to 4 days. One the last day check out your tank. Most of the algae will have died off while the rest will be munched on by the tank's crew.

kyle102565

i have the same problem, im letting it run its course. ive decided to stop water changes, i believe water changes replace trace elements that allow the GHA to continue. im also running lights 10 hrs a day. i tried the low light schedule and weekly water changes, they made things worse. GHA, brown diatoms and red cyano are all part of maturing a tank. in short my theory is to starve it and its working!!!

shortstack

you can also try chemicals for removing phosphate (phosguard, sponge, etc.) Nitrates can also feed algae. How are your nitrate levels?

ParticipationTrophyWife

When I had the green hair algae bloom I did the 9 for $99 thing on IPSF (ipsf.com). I'm not sure if it took care of the problem, or my tank was just going thru a cycle that was ending, but within days the problem was resolved. I do remember looking at the stuff and thinking, "I paid $99 for this?", but I do think it did help alleviate the problem.

Tasha

Well my nitrates are around 20. All other readings are 0. So I am heading to the lfs today to get a lawnmower blennie. Maybe this will help.

As for doing a water change, I will do that Friday some time after my new ri/di2 arrives. I'm not even going to try using my ro water anymore, except for what needed top offs it needs.

I found a new product that is made just for killing gha. If all else fails then this is going to be my way to go. Here is a link to the product which just came out on the market.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...y_Code=Medicine

A little expensive, but it may be worth the try :)

OKay, just got back from the lfs a little while ago. Bought 2 giant mexican turbo snails, about the size of 1 1/2 golf balls, lol!!! Got to love them. Talk about green hair eating machines. They went straight to it and are totally cleaning it off. And at such a fast place that it is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they are big and will knock down a few rock, but who cares as long as my tank is saved from the green death. The rocks can easily be put back in place.

Plus I got a lawnmover blennie. I imagine he will be good for always keeping it in check and unnoticeable.

At this rate of consumption, my tank should be looking pretty good by morning.

For those following this thread, here is a pic of the gha covered rock before the mexican turbo's hit it. I will post a follow up pic tomarrow to show you how much these snails love to eat gha.

Sorry have a crappy kodak, it made the pic really look green.

post-4012-1149320761_thumb.jpg

For those following this thread, here is a pic of the gha covered rock before the mexican turbo's hit it. I will post a follow up pic tomarrow to show you how much these snails love to eat gha.

Archived