Top Shelf Aquatics

Help me get started

Fishiebusiness

Fishiebusiness

I want to set up a 10 gallon nano for my dorm room. Since school is ending wednesday, i'll have time to work on it. I have a ten gallon with a 36 watt clamp on fixture, its holding some guppies right now. Where can i get a clear glass cover that has room in the back for my clamp and is clear enough to let lots of light through? My other concern is evaporation. I will be away on weekends for sure and will need some sort of automatic top off system. I think a float switch with a small reservoir would work well. Where can i get such a float switch? Thanks!

(Edited by Fishiebusiness at 10:56 pm on May 18, 2002)

I would just go to Home Depot, get some plexiglass or something and cult it to fit the top of the tank.  Thats what I did.  When you have a good lid, evaporation isnt that much of an issue.  With out the lid, I need to add a lot of water every day.  With the lid, my tank is fine for a long long time.  It's definitely ok for the weekend.

Fishiebusiness

Ok, sounds good. Can i grow some decent polyps or mushrooms with my 36watt PC fixture? It has a 10K daylight bulb on it now. Should i change to half/half actinic? Thnks

Fishiebusiness

half and half it is then, 22 dollars on bigals, does that sound like a good price? Anyone need a 10K 36 watt 4 pins in a row PC bulb?

Fishiebusiness

Another question, I will be using LR and LS with this tank. Should I cycle with the LR and the LS in already or is there a better way?

Fishiebusiness

So heres my plan, 5 lbs of of LR 5 lbs of LS, toss in a cocktail shrimp, wait a month or so until nitrates etc dissappear and then 5 more lbs of LR. Hows that?

(Edited by Fishiebusiness at 3:43 pm on May 19, 2002)

Archived