Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How Hot is too Hot

SCUBA BUZZ

SCUBA BUZZ

Hey folks my tank is sitting steady around 83 degrees right now and we just had a hot spell the room its in shouldnt get much above 85-90 degrees and only for a shot period this summer, Ive got ice packs ready to go and all corals are looking excelent right now at 83 degrees (probably because i keep my tank on the warmer side all year round at around 80 degrees). this iwll be the first hot speel this tank goes through, and living in Canada makes me nervous to buy an iceprobe as they havent passed Canadian saftey standards, and if it causes the house to burn down could be an insurance issue :D. I'm just wondering if there is a magical temperature where corals will just die or will i notice it progresivly getting worse?

thanks

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this too, since the temp in the room where my tank is is starting to rise too and I can't afford to buy a chiller just yet.

Hey folks my tank is sitting steady around 83 degrees right now and we just had a hot spell the room its in shouldnt get much above 85-90 degrees and only for a shot period this summer, Ive got ice packs ready to go and all corals are looking excelent right now at 83 degrees (probably because i keep my tank on the warmer side all year round at around 80 degrees). this iwll be the first hot speel this tank goes through, and living in Canada makes me nervous to buy an iceprobe as they havent passed Canadian saftey standards, and if it causes the house to burn down could be an insurance issue :D. I'm just wondering if there is a magical temperature where corals will just die or will i notice it progresivly getting worse?

thanks

Kellie in CA

I am having the same trouble. My tank tends to hover in the 81-84 degree range. If I put a fan over it to cool the water I lose about a gallon a day of water to evaporation. I feel like I am ALWAYS topping off the tank. I am in the process of trying to decide which is worse: higher temp, or unstable salinity.

clifford513
I am having the same trouble. My tank tends to hover in the 81-84 degree range. If I put a fan over it to cool the water I lose about a gallon a day of water to evaporation. I feel like I am ALWAYS topping off the tank. I am in the process of trying to decide which is worse: higher temp, or unstable salinity.

You should seriously consider the $10 battery powered ato. I did it for my tank and it works like a charm. Super simple!

Was going to post this in your other thread, but I'll post it here:

You should be fine, but get it down to at highest 84.

My AC broke end of last year, and I put off buying a new one, and we had a bad heatwave this weekend (everyone did I think) and my tank was at 90(which was room temp.) on Sunday, 2 clowns, frogspawn, zoanthids, ricordias, and a frag of acro, and the only thing that looked really bad was the acro. Needless to say, Monday I went right out and bought a new AC. (And the acro is in a friends tank recovering.) Everything looks much better today.

SCUBA BUZZ

well realisticly i cant afford any chiller/ ac right now, so i guess im just stuck with the ice packs i made and some frozen water bottles for now.

geekreef_05

I recently came accross an article about temp from Tahiti; from a study done in the 70's and 80's. Apparently reef temps there would range from 79 to 89 during the year. I can imagine this occurs in other reef's as well.

Despite this, Id recommend keeping your keep running btn 78-82. Yesterday was a hot one in the city and my softie tank reached 85. I noticed my anemonoe moving around, in agony, and my Xenia bleeching out. Funny that it didnt effect the shrooms or GSP (good old GSP will survive anything).

When the daysget really warm, I tend to put ice in my ATO and that'll help.

Kellie in CA

Arrrgh! I turned the fan off because the water was evaporating so fast that I couldn't keep up with the top-off's. I kept a close eye on it and wanted to see just how high it would go.....well, when it hit 84 my finger leather shrunk up but amazingly the hammers and torches never looked better, they got huge. The fish and shrimp looked fine, but I don't want to risk it.....so the fan is back on. I am going to look into that ATO, topping off a gallon a day is a PITA!

If it’s any comfort, I currently have a 6g, that’s soon to change, and my tank over the past few days was 84 – 84.5. All my corals and livestock visually appeared to be fine. Although, to play it safe I’m getting an IceProbe just to keep my temps in the low 80’s.

My livestock is very hardy and consists of:

Yellow polyps, mushrooms – rics & yuma, candy cane which is splitting, cleaner shrimp, hermit, snails & 1 clown fish.

I think for hardy specimens, 84 is the max! As long as the temp swing is stable, this is the fine line that should not be ventured beyond.

Hope this helps

As long as we're not talking about temperatures in the high 80's to 90 I think stability is more important thatn the actual temp. Try and keep your temp stable to within a degree to a dgree and a half. If that means running at slightly higher temps (82-84) so be it. Again assuming that your livestock is ok with that temp.

Bob

temp swings won't effect things as long as they aren't changing too much to quickly

my tank runs high, 82-87 depending on the day (and that's with an iceprobe running on high power)...all my corals are alive and well, fish are happy, inverts are happy

if it jumped like 5 degrees in an hour then you will most likely have problems, but overall high temps do not seem to effect the tank inhabitants if it is kept high consistantly.

If you do decide to invest in a cooling device check out the portable air conditioner at home depot. I have one in my room and it keeps my tank and me happy. It also sucks out a lot of h20 that otherwise could cause mold issues down the road. When I leave I set it at 80 degrees and it keeps my room perfect for my aquarium and is on 30-40% of the time, when im in my room I keep it around 78 for my comfort and its on 75% of the time. I have not had a swing of over .6 degrees sinceI bought it. For 300$ you can get a small chiller that keeps ur tank cold or an A/C that keeps your whole room cool.

temp swings won't effect things as long as they aren't changing too much to quickly

my tank runs high, 82-87 depending on the day (and that's with an iceprobe running on high power)...all my corals are alive and well, fish are happy, inverts are happy

if it jumped like 5 degrees in an hour then you will most likely have problems, but overall high temps do not seem to effect the tank inhabitants if it is kept high consistantly.

Being that I’m getting an IceProbe shortly I’m curious to know what kind of system you’re running; i.e. tank size, lighting and ambient temps. Sorry to be so inquisitive, but if the IceProbe doesn’t keep my tank at a steady 81 – 82 range I’m going be extremely disappointed.

Being that I’m getting an IceProbe shortly I’m curious to know what kind of system you’re running; i.e. tank size, lighting and ambient temps. Sorry to be so inquisitive, but if the IceProbe doesn’t keep my tank at a steady 81 – 82 range I’m going be extremely disappointed.

it's a 10 gallon, with two 70 watt halides...but i barely run the lights cause it gets that hot without the lights on....i know the probe is working cause it feels cold when it's on, but it just doesn't suck out the heat like i think it should...i am a little disappointed with it.

Thanks for the info. Being that I ordered it I'll have to give it a shot. I guess if it doesn't work I could always retun it.

Anyway, thanks again.

My tanks have run between 80 (to which my heater is set) in the morning/evening and 85 or so during the heat of the day. I've noticed that many of my corals seem happier during the winter, when these temp swings dont occur. I just installed a chiller that should keep the temp stable at 80 - so I'll report back and let you know if things look happier in a week or so.

Archived