Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

more refugium questions

jstewart0

I have just got a few more questions about refugium (well I probably have a lot more that I just havent thought of yet).  One, do you guys have any sort of a clean up crew in your refug?  I get green hair growing on the glass and green and red slime.  Its not a huge amount mut if I dont take it off it just continues to spread.  Should I put a couple of snails in there?  

Second, what method should I use to trim my caluerpa with?  Just cut it with scissors?  Thanks for all the responses.

jared

quiksilver5768

Here are some answers:

1) You can put a cleanup crew in if you wish. Only snails though! No hermits or anything of that sort. Snails are the only thing that will clean off algae and not mess with your pod population. I have one snail in mine that came on some caulpera and its doing fine. Although...why do you wish to clean your refugium? Its not suppose to lok that good anyway. haha :)

2) You can either just pull some off or you can cut it off. Doesnt really matter as long as you trim it down.

believe it or not I have aiptasia in my refugium they do well to remove food. Snails are the best bet. get some conks, trochus, nasscarious turbo and astrea in there. they all like diff stuff. as far as the hair, check yer water quality. If it becomes a problem, there are tuxedo urchins that eat hair algae ( and other kinds of algae too) and there are some Orange Rock crabs from the caribian that CHOW DOWN on all algae.

Archived