Cultivated Reef

Bare Bottom Nano

DirtyPirate

clifford513
I have a nano with no live sand. I used rubble rock in my 1 gallon nano.

Does the bottom get covered by coraline?

Does anyone have a barebottom nano setup? Im just interested if its possible.

Absolutely impossible.

minireefkeeper26

Everyone has their opinion about the whole bare bottom thing. I happen to like a substrate, for biological filtration as well as the aesthetics. I have seen coralline algae on the bottom of the bb tank at the LFS. The owner said the only problem is that if you have fish they get stressed out because of the glare off of the bottom of the tank. Is it the look of the BB tank you like? The world's oceans have a substrate for a reason, IMO. Good luck either way!!

I don't care for the look of the bare-bottoms..but I can tell you this:

I have a 12G NC-QT that I keep BB due to the fact it is a quarantine...

I try to keep up with it, keeping the glass clean, using turkey baster blasts, and siphoning out debris when I do water changes, sponge cleaning algae off the bottom glass etc, but it still doesn't keep the glass on the bottom nice looking (except maybe a day or two). I wouldn't want any of my display tanks to look like this and wouldn't recommend it to you...

I'd go with a sand bed bottom.

I try to keep up with it, keeping the glass clean, using turkey baster blasts, and siphoning out debris when I do water changes, sponge cleaning algae off the bottom glass etc, but it still doesn't keep the glass on the bottom nice looking (except maybe a day or two). I wouldn't want any of my display tanks to look like this and wouldn't recommend it to you...

With sand, all that crud is still there...you just don't see it because it's settling into the sandbed. Of course, we reefers like to practice an extremely practical mantra:

"Out of sight, completely out of mind."

yes you can.

Just be sure you have plenty of flow that is 30x-40x to keep everything in suspension and have an agressive protien skimmer regime.

Look at prop tanks...hmmm...most seem to be BB.

Nhutty is a nut as I have said before.

Archived