Cultivated Reef

New nano tank

Olivia

Hello all,

I have had aquariums for years, both saltwater and fresh. At the moment I have a 46 gallon planted freshwater tank and a 55 gallon turtle tank. My husband and I think that we may want to add a nano reef tank to our house. We went to our LFS to see what they have and saw both nanocubes and aquapods. We are both now researching like crazy before investing in one. I noticed that a lot of people had heat problems with the aquapods. My husband has commented that everyone seems to modify their tanks, both aquapods and nanocubes...pumps, lights, filter media, skimmer pieces, etc.

So I guess my question is...will these tanks work out of the box? Are all the mods necessary? Which do you prefer (we can't afford a custom tank)?

We would like some live rock, maybe an anenome, clown fish, and maybe a few polyps or mushrooms. Nothing too difficult like sps corals. We aren't sure of the size either, 12 or 24 gallons?

Constructive comments and stories please

Thanks,

Olivia

They will work out of the box but modding them is part of the fun in this hobby. The mods I reccomend are the surface skimmer and pump upgrade. I would also remove all the stock filter media and replace it with live rock rubble. You'll be happy with either the aquapod or the nano cube but either way go with the 12 gallon version. The 24 gallon versions look bulky, have had cracking issues, and have less watts per gallon. I reccomend against an anemone unless you upgrade to halides, everything else sounds good.

RayWhisperer

Pretty much what Pico said.... Definately get a surface skimmer if it doesn't have one. The 24's aren't all that bad though. I have a pre 06 NC24DX, no problems what-so-ever. I think alot of the cracking issues had to do with tanks being shipped individually. I always buy mine from the LFS, that way I can inspect them thoroughly. Also, as of OCT 05 all 24 NC's were made with thicker glass.

Welcome to N-R.com.

Pretty much what Pico said.... Definately get a surface skimmer if it doesn't have one. The 24's aren't all that bad though. I have a pre 06 NC24DX, no problems what-so-ever. I think alot of the cracking issues had to do with tanks being shipped individually. I always buy mine from the LFS, that way I can inspect them thoroughly. Also, as of OCT 05 all 24 NC's were made with thicker glass.

Welcome to N-R.com.

I would be against the anemone unless you mod or get better lighting for the tank after you have enough money like 6 months or so (the good amount of time for your tank to be ready for an anemone) If getting the Anemone, i would get the 24 also as its more space, etc. (sorry if this really goes against you guys dont have enough money for mods). The Surface Skimmer Mod comes with the cube if its a 2006 model and upgrading the pump is basically all you need to do and you will be set for what you wanted besides anemones.

Archived