inTank Media Baskets

20 L lighting

Newby-Reefer

Newby-Reefer

Hey guys,

I am doing a side project here on a 20 long. Tank will have a little of everything (Mushrooms, zoas, LPS, softires, easy to keep SPS, and clams). What do you guys think I should use for lighting? I was thinking 2 96 watt PC or 2 70 watt MH I was hoping to go PC what do you guys think?

Newby-Reefer

Ok so how do I keep the tank cool without the chiller? It will be a full hood and I can throw a few fans on it but is there anyother way of colling it down?

fans blowing across the surface of the water will be plenty of cooling.

what fixtures were you planning on using?

Newby-Reefer

OK so what do u figure 2 blowing in on one side and 2 blowing out on the other (length wise on the tank)

That will be plenty, I have my 2, 150w halides in my 55 gallon's canopy with a rotating desk fan blowing across the water's surface when the lights are on and my tank stays at a constant 78 degrees.

why not just one 150 watter... that is how i have my 20L.

I think the benefits of this would be higher light near the middle of the tank for the SPS and clams, while allowing a little less intense lighting at the ends for the shroom/zoas, etc.

Just IME.

Jesse

• 1 month later...
JonRigby2005

I just built a canopy for my 20 l with a 175W metal halide, i have one 3" fan blowing in and one 3" fan blowing out, bulb is about 8" of the water, no heat issues, the bulb is centered and the light distribution is pretty even, it looks great. I've wanted halides for a long time, and i finally got em, feels good, looks great.

I second the 1 x 150w.

4.jpg

I just got that exact same light yesterday for my 20L. Yours looks a little bluer than mine though....does it change after a bit of a break in period? I'm currently just running it an hour a day for acclimation.

• 2 weeks later...
JonRigby2005

I am not really liking the color of my 14,000K coralife. I am going to add 55W actinic supplement and see what that looks like before I replace the halide bulb.

The 14,000k phoenix looks like a 10,000k with pc actinic supplementation... plus it is only like $55 shipped from www. illuming.com ...

Jesse

wow, this is exactly what i was looking for!!! I want to upgrade to a 20L and was wondering what kind of lighting to go with.... wasnt sure if i should buy a PC fixture, or try to do a MH retrofit...... this is making me lean towards MH!!! Now, if i was doing a retrofit kit, what do you think the best way to house it would be? Make a pendent of sorts, or perhaps just an entire hood? Any suggestions?

JonRigby2005

I made a canopy that fits into the lip of the tank brace. It is 8" high, has a fan on each side, one blowing in, one blowing out, and a piece of glass all the way across to protect the bulb. I house the ballast in the stand. It looks pretty good as long as you dont get close and inspect it. I am by no means a carpenter, LOL.

in reefman26's pic the clown's shadow looks like a shark...kinda funny

LOL!! I would have NEVER noticed that!! Good eye!

Jesse

The Propagator

I would gowith either PC or 150/175 DE or mogul MH.

IMPO Reefman your tank would only benefit from you raisang that fixture up another couple inches ;)

It would spread the light over the tank more evenly.

I am only using 1 x 175w 14k hammy over my 40g breeder and I did the same thing.

I raised it until all areas were evelny covered.

Those shadows in the picture are very deceiving... I get really good coverage with that hammertoned hamilton reflector. those shadows up by the overflows are only there because of 2" ABS plastic elbow overflows. The ends are pretty well lit. If you raise the light too much, you start seeing a drop in light making it to the corals. I read an article, I believe by sanjay, about height and its correlation to energy that makes it to the corals.

Anyways, I agree that 150/175 watters are a great choice over a 20L. I had PC's over mine before the MH, and the difference is big. Plus the shimmer lines from MH make it look much more natural. Heat isnt really a problem either, especially if you run a fuge or sump like i do.

Jesse

masterbuilder

Oh man...I want a 20L as my next tank. T-5's seem to be the best choice for me. Tons on light, whatever color you want, no fans, no heat.....what else could you ask for! I guess shimmer lines, I would trade those for the heat from MH any day.

Archived