Coral Vue Hydros

how long should carbon be kept in the filter?

sandlot13

HEy, just put a bag of carbon into my HOB filter, with my live rock.......... was wondering how long i should keep in there before i take it out. thanks!

shortstack

I dont think there is a set amount of time as it varies depending on tank condition, but as a rule of thumb I have seen a lot of websites and hear people say about 4-6 weeks. I usually change mine every month on my freshwater and once my reef tank gets up and running I will be doing the same (except with seachem renew, not carbon). Hope that helps

FishTechNH

Best not to run carbon for any extended period of time as it will pull good and bad things from the water. There are other options such as purigen or poly pads that are a better choice for long term use.

awesome, thanks guys..... what about phosban? whats that? any places your recommend to get purigen or poly pads?

FishTechNH

Phosban is another medium for PO4 removal. You should be able to find all of these products fairly easily from any local or online shop as they are all pretty common items.

I like to use small amounts of carbon, 4 or 5 spoons, in a mesh bag, I also add a spoon of Phosguard to the bag. I change out the carbon & Phosguard every couple of weeks.

Using small amounts & changing it out often helps to prevent the shock to your reef system that can happen when you use large amounts of any chemical filtration, let it go until depleted, and then change it out again for fresh media.

Archived