ReefCleaners.org

cardinals? whats your take?

headman

I had a hard time picking out a fish today. I have a 37g cube with 2 clown, a royal gramma, and some assorted mushroom coral. I was at the lfs and ended up buying a cardinal because they're somewhat cheap and hardy. Has anyone ever had or have a cardinal ? and what are their pros and cons? They are pretty cool looking fish, but is their behavior interesting?

snowlancer2720

ive never had one, but i hear that they are pretty good fish and that they are real easy to keep, i remember seeing someone on here trying to breed them...

Charlie97L
what type of cardinal did you get?

Tim

they are schooling, if introduced together, hardy, able to be raised in captivity, and also are nocturnal... during the day they mostly just hang out. i've got a bangaii... he strikes VERY aggressively for food. that's really the only odd things i've seen.

they are schooling, if introduced together, hardy, able to be raised in captivity, and also are nocturnal... during the day they mostly just hang out. i've got a bangaii... he strikes VERY aggressively for food. that's really the only odd things i've seen.

he must be deprived of food in the lfs

Most cardinals are schooling - Banggai's are not. Put them in a group, and eventually you will be left with only one (two, if a pair forms).

Also, tank-raised cardinals are very hardy - wild caught cardinals don't usually make it.

Most cardinals are schooling - Banggai's are not. Put them in a group, and eventually you will be left with only one (two, if a pair forms).

Also, tank-raised cardinals are very hardy - wild caught cardinals don't usually make it.

Yeah, if you can find the stinkin' things. I know ORA has a program, but I can't convince my LFS to order from them.
Sea_Of_Treachery

don't get a bangaii unless its tank raised and you have seen it eat, i had one and it die, it was wild. They can be pretty picky.

don't get a bangaii unless its tank raised and you have seen it eat, i had one and it die, it was wild. They can be pretty picky.

same thing happen to me too, but i tried it twice over a long period of time and still no luck.

cardinals are very hardy fish. bangaiis are definatley a schooling fish. will breed on their own in a well established tank. when buying a wild caught one.. make sure hes eating and see if your lfs will put him on hold for a couple of days. we lose about 35% of wild caught bangaiis at my work. i had a baby one in my 12g until the other day when my tank got 90 degrees. wanted to smash my tank.

bangaii

cardinals are very hardy fish. bangaiis are definatley a schooling fish.

Banggai cardinals ARE NOT schooling fish. If you put a group of adults together they will pair off, and the dominant pair will kill the others. I have seen it happen; and if you do not believe me, Frank Marini mentions it in his article on breeding Banggais.

Fishfreak218

ya.. jeremai is right.. they arent schooling fish.. IMO the best schooling cardinal is the Longspine Cardinalfish

Archived