inTank Media Baskets

Using regular house screw-in compact flourescents for a week

Jamescoop

Okay, so im selling two tanks this weekend, and made a deal where i would keep some of the corals. So today i bought a 4 gallon long beta tank, which i was going to use. Since i wont have the lights for another week and a half, can i just use regular screw in compact flourescents from home depot to keep the corals living? o r do i really have to get at least regular screw-in 50/50 20W or so??

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

go to home depot and look for the phillips 27watt daylight bulb (blue package) its a 6500k bulb. very bright with a blue tint. they usually have them on display (it will be the only blue light in a sea of urine yellow lighting (2300-3000k)

the daylight bulbs are very effective for corals, etc (best spiral on the maket in my opinion) the coralife 50/50 doesnt compare.

later down the line, the 6500k bulb will make a perfect sump light.

the yellow light below, is a standard 2700k energy saver. the white lights are the daylight bulbs, you can see just how bright they are compared to the coralife 50-50

IMG_5743.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

the solid blue is a noma blue spiral. the 1/2 blue 1/2 white is the coralife. but your correct, they dont give off much light at all.

Archived