Top Shelf Aquatics

Does anyone here keep a seagrass nano?

deacon hemp

deacon hemp

Just wondering if anyone on nano-reef is keeping a true seagrass nano? The ones with dsb's, barely any rock,an open scape with tons of seagrasses. I would totally be stoked to see some pics if they are out there? I have an empty tank at the moment and have become fasinated with this type of biotope tank.

Thanks in advance Deac

P.S. links to killer seagrass nano's are wanted also! LOL

I've spent the last month or so trying to figure out the best way to make a 5g hex into a seagrass tank. I have a crap load of links somewhere, lemme see if I can find any...

I'm currently waiting for my tank to finish cycling but what you described is pretty much what I am working on.

2bafe716.jpg

deacon hemp

Kool thanks for the links and pics,jeremai i hope u find those links.I was thinking more of the lines as this....the first one rules,but the cube (scroll down) is what im after. http://www.ne.jp/asahi/aqua/aquarie/ref.htm

Please keep posting links pics and whatever info you guys have!

We should make it the offical seagrass thread!

Fishfreak218

im setting one up.. 30g. Cube w/ Seagrasses and Soft coral...

i should be setting it up soon.. plans are for Halophila and Shoal Grass ... a good place to get it is:

www.floridapets.com

or collect it yourself...but check the law first

deacon hemp

Ive come to realize that seagrass is super rare if not impossible to get in canada! %^%$$# But im not gonna quit so easy.If it is indeed impossible i guess the second best thing is a macro tank.

Fish freak cant wait to see your progress on that tank.Samala on RC would very much want to see it too.You should make a thread in the macro forum too.

Sorry deacon, lost the links. I'll try and dig some up after I get done painting the living room.

Most of the information I found was on Samala's website, and the others she linked from. There's not a whole lot out there on seagrass nanos; I think we need a pioneer in the field.

Any takers?

deacon hemp
Sorry deacon, lost the links. I'll try and dig some up after I get done painting the living room.

Most of the information I found was on Samala's website, and the others she linked from. There's not a whole lot out there on seagrass nanos; I think we need a pioneer in the field.

Any takers?

Jeremai....

Its all good ive seen her threads and talked with her about my endevors.She said that seagrasses are super hard to get across the border,if not impossible. :( Her 10 gal SG tank was awesome.

I would like to pioneer the feild of seagrass nano's! Halophilia a user on RC has the sickest SG/macro nano i have seen thus far! So nice,look it up if you havent seen it yet?

Travisurfer....

Garden eels would be super super cool,unfortunatley i have never seen one for sale in 5 years ive been doing this! I also think you need a Super DSB for them (like 10 inch!)

Bottom line is CANADA still kinda sucks for finding rarities in this hobby!!!!!!

yankee boy

can seagrasses live off of the nutrients from the the SW and light by itself or does it need a CO2 supplement or something

deacon hemp

They need a deep sand bed with a silty/muddy mix on the bottom is what ive read.One thing im unsure of is a lot of them only have really minimal amounts of live rock (sometimes none) and i wonder how they keep up on bioload.Theres even a few threads in the macro forum sayin they do well with fertilizer spike/tabs into the sand and additions of c02.

clifford513
They need a deep sand bed with a silty/muddy mix on the bottom is what ive read.One thing im unsure of is a lot of them only have really minimal amounts of live rock (sometimes none) and i wonder how they keep up on bioload.Theres even a few threads in the macro forum sayin they do well with fertilizer spike/tabs into the sand and additions of c02.

Do SGs absorb wastes like algae?

deacon hemp

Im stoked!!!! I talked to my lfs owner and he said that he ahas a supplier of multiple types of seagrass! So im going through with this project afterall.My zero edge is on hold ATM.

Clifford they do suck up nuitrients like macros,but at a much slower rate,so ive read.Thats why dosing and or fertilizer spikes sometimes come into play,especially if you have lots of macros mixed in,they end up battling for nuits?

Fishfreak218

i have talked to Samala many times and Gravyardworms(sp).. both very helpful people.. actually Samala is who got me interested in Seagrasses..

deacon hemp

I have a few setup questions......FF maybe?

Should i bother with drilling this tank and running an overflow? and should i bother with running a skimmer? If not this tank will be all go this week.Ive read conflicted reports on skimming,some say skim,some say skim light,some say none!? it seem like simple would work better for a higher nuitrient tank?

Deacon, you're killing me - I wanted tobe the first on NR to have a seagrass nano. B)

I'm planning a 5g hex for Halophila and a rock anemone, we'll see how it goes.

What are you going to use as a sand bed? I was thinking something like Miracle Mud or the live mud Florida Pets sells, or even GARF Grunge... I kinda like the mud look, completes the whole biotope thing.

As far as skimming, I'll put a small chunk of LR in mine (more for aesthetics than anything) and have a mini closed loop with a HydorFlo - and that's it. I guess a skimmer would depend on your bioload; but, if you drop a few non-calcareous macros in there, it would act like a mini-refugium, and a skimmer wouldn't be necessary anyway.

Fishfreak218

dont use Garf Grunge.. i have heard bad things about it.. i'll be collecting my own seagrass and mud....

also the Seagrass also takes up nutrients so i dont know what you mean by putting in Macroalgea IMO needing more nutrients is going to be the problem rather then having to much...

haha.. i wonder who will/would have the first Seagrass tank.. Me, Deacon Hemp, or Jeremai :lol:

I believe seagrasses derive most of their nutrients from the sandbed, and only a small amount from the actual water column - hence the need for an aged DSB. Skimming helps to eliminate dissolved nutrients from the water column - adding macros does the same thing, but is a simpler option.

deacon hemp
Deacon, you're killing me - I wanted tobe the first on NR to have a seagrass nano. B)

I'm planning a 5g hex for Halophila and a rock anemone, we'll see how it goes.

What are you going to use as a sand bed? I was thinking something like Miracle Mud or the live mud Florida Pets sells, or even GARF Grunge... I kinda like the mud look, completes the whole biotope thing.

As far as skimming, I'll put a small chunk of LR in mine (more for aesthetics than anything) and have a mini closed loop with a HydorFlo - and that's it. I guess a skimmer would depend on your bioload; but, if you drop a few non-calcareous macros in there, it would act like a mini-refugium, and a skimmer wouldn't be necessary anyway.

Jeremai....

A 5g hex?would that have enough height for the grasses w/ a DSB? Im kinda sketched out on using my cube with 16inches height?

Travis.....

Same as above im kinda worried about height?and those fish are long dudes! A 10 inch sand bed is leaving me with 6 inches grass space! i want mostly shoal grass and need the height. But that would rawk! A 24" tall tank is needed IMO,maybe FF will do eels?

FF.....

I'll be the first! But im really sure over the past 5 years its been done!

travisurfer

oh, i thought you were still planning your tank. that way you could do a crazy tall tank to incorporate them

deacon hemp

I am still in planning,and would love them,but i have an empty tank and its 16 tall :( No point in buying stuff.

Archived