ReefCleaners.org

2.5-gallon Sunlight Pico-Reef

tinyreef

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry, i'll be following up with some more updates this weekend. i've been busy with work and personal life issues.

also been tuning-in the newly set up 75g (i.e. 9-year-old transplanted 72g) and slowly tearing down my office nano (4+ years-old). so the other tanks have been taking a lot of my spare 'reefing time'.

but did some major reaquascaping and frag addition/subtraction. i also swapped out the azoo mini for a AC mini for more flow and filtering capacity (the ugf needs a cleanout, i think). i've been picking at the black epiphytic algae that was really ugling it up too. blech!

got some new loose frags (transplanted from the office nano) i'm waiting to grow/attach. and i've upped my dosages a bit lately as well. i'd been noticing some slowdown on the pipe organ coral (sucking up the ca/alk).

but overall, it's slowly becoming more sarco-dominant for some reason. :rolleyes:

thanks for the comments! :happy:

ling,

try it! it's definitely a fun challenge imo. there's a lot of ways to improve on the process too (if you're handy enough, see RC's Advanced Forum thread on "Sola-Tubes". it's a brand name of skylight-type of lighting). the different colorations and low-cost of the setup really made this easier for me to justify continuing this tank as i'm pruning my setups back.

trav,

let me know if you're interested. ;)

depending on the system though, they can either grow fast or slow so be forewarned on a pico setup. mine actually receded a bit from the recent algae issues and the reduced lighting (moved tank to a narrow skylight) prior to that, which i think triggered some of the issues i'm still fighting a little now.

but if i left them where they were, i think they'd be twice the size they're at now. in fact, i'm thinking of removing the main rock to make more room for more sarco frags. so definitely consider spacing and sizing.

ok, if i do decide on a sarco, which i most likely will because they army favorite corals, it will be a species only tank. i have to decide on which species though. i dont want to put one of the supercolored ones in there since they dont ship well and arent as hardy. the tank is still young but i should have some decent lighting in place by christmas. i am thinking a single 18w pc from current would be enough to bring out some nice colors.

• 5 months later...
How's the tank doing?
sorry, i thought i posted that i tore down the tank last year when i consolidated all my tanks into one. the main piece of rock went into my display tank and the rest just became sump rubble.

but that one transplanted LR piece still gets significant sunlight as the consolidated tank is next to a large southern-facing window. i've applied some of the stuff i learned from the sun-pico to my current display tank (phytoplankton, photography and some aquascaping).

thanks for asking though! :happy:

Archived