Cultivated Reef

BTA's

Sea_Of_Treachery

Sea_Of_Treachery

how big of a tank does a BTA need? i wanted to set up a BTA only tank with a clown or 2, id like the smallest size tank needed for it, i don't have much space

Mushroom Boy

Just make sure you feed them. Food is more important to BTA's than light. I agree, a 20 gallon sounds like a nice size for a BTA.

Fishfreak218

naw^^^^ light is more important and the food supplements them

but they can live under PC's.. but MH is of course reccomended

naw^^^^ light is more important and the food supplements them

but they can live under PC's.. but MH is of course reccomended

Not necessarily. Many people report their BTAs actually shying away from MH.

IME they have always done better under PCs...opened up more, fed better and grew quicker.

sea man dan

Ok heres what i have come to an understanding with , after doing extensive research before actually purchase one . Couple steps i would suggest

1) do a lot of research and then when your done do some more , yes finding info on forums is excelent and great but in my opinion getting a very detailed description of what goes on from many different poeple is better than 10 or 12 people saying ... "ya do this" (not saying thats not useful)

2) from what i've figured out lighting isnt everything , its feeding . yes BTA's need good lighting but i feel that they require more food than lighting but a good lighting system is in order.

3) if you dont want the BTA you purchase to out grow your tank quiker than you hoped only feed it about 1-2 times a week , which means you arnt starving it but you arnt giving it its max potientail to grow , providing that you have a good lighting system. Most people recomend to feed your BTA every other day if not everyday. But i think 1-2 times a week will suffice.

4) now to contridick what i said. Now getting a anemone , you dont want to starve it or you dont want it to do just "ok" like i said previously by just feeding it 1-2 times a week . Now i am not saying that wont work i am just saying you buy something because you want to watch it do good and be the best it can be , so meaning you feed it as much as it will take....(IMO) but feeding it as much as it can take is just begging for it to out grow your tank , so i think you should stick to the 1-2 or 1-3 times a week for feeding it.

5) lighting , now lighting is not that important but not something to take easily. anemones do need suficent lighting but IMO they need more feeding than lighting. (if that answers some questions)

6)The smallest tank i would go with is a 10 gallon , it is to small but u need to monitor how the anemone takes to living in such a small tank because if it might out grow it fast . Thats why i say 10 because most BTA's reach a max size of about 12 inches but then it starts shooting off clones , and i think if u get rid of the clones you'll be ok , until it is absolutly nessicary to upgrade to a bigger tank..

this is just my 2 cents and i dont know if it exaclty makes since but being 16 its a little bit harder to put things in a perspective for older people to understand .... :-0

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

ar eyou planning on having any coral? or just a few bta's? i have i bta in a 30g (have for 17 months) mines split twice from run ins with powerheads etc. (stress related) right now mines sitting on my leather totally destroying it.

my bta stays in one place for 5or 6 motnhs then takes to cruzing around the tank. i think long term, in a 20g your anemone will end up in a powerhead.

my advise the bigger the tank the better. besides, then you can buy really big bta's :)

DementedLullaby
my advise the bigger the tank the better.

That's excellent advise no matter what IMO lol :)

Sea_Of_Treachery

hows this funny hahahaha, anyways ive seen that site, i don't have room for a tank of that size. My dresser can fit an NC6 or 12, thats about as big as i can go. and with your info, im gonna have to settle for an NC12. Is there even enought light in the DX to support a BTA(2x24)? and yes there will be NO coral in the tank, just the anemone.

i can get LR,sand and even water from a well established setup from my lfs with a HUGE system, or a friends 55g reef. That way i don't have to wait 6 months to get the anemone.

In my experience with BTAs they generally keep their size relative to the tank they're in. I have no scientific explanation, just what i've observed over.

Keep them in a 10gallon, they'll grow to around 5-6" and will eventually split instead of getting bigger. Keep them in a big 75gallon and they'll get 12" and never split.

There is a direct relationship with feeding and light. Lots of light and lots of food=fast growth.

I think 50 watts would be on the low side but doable. Make sure you create some peaks in your rock work so the BTA can get up higher if the light isnt sufficient

Archived