Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ricordea

flaunt

I got a ricordea mushroom polyp 2 days ago for my 10g.  It's about the diameter of a quarter with lime green tentacles and a pink center.  I set him down on a fairly flat rock (after acclimation of course), and figured he would attach himself or move to another location if he didn't like where I set him.  He looks partially attached now, but about half of his body is off the rock and is kind of folded up a bit.  I'm wondering, will it take awhile for him to fully attach and open up all the way?  Should I leave him alone or do I need to do something to help him out?

I have found ricordia very hearty.  I just bought a new ricordia from the LFS that was a nice sized greenish one.  I acclimated it in the tank, and then picked it off the bottom and cut it in two.  This is the third ricordia I have split this way.  So far not stress of fatalities on any.  Actually, to me it seems the two halves grow much faster.  The next day the two halves were opened on the bottom of my tank and beginning to form circles again.  I love these animals!

Nishant3789

mmmarquis, i have a neon green ricordia too, how big was the ricordia when you cut it in half? and btw, mine is attached to a rock, how would i take him off? thanks

nishant

I use some nylon mesh and rubber bands over the top of the shrooms to anchor them. they attach in ususlay a few days provided they are not moved. use a powerhead to blow water under the shroom with a butterknife peal at the foot corner. It usualy works well.

Archived