Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shooting Royal Gammas?

Fanof49ASU

Fanof49ASU

Why is it that when I photograph my royal gamma, the camera (digital) doesn't interpret the purple....instead, it changes it to blue?

Gammy.gif

try messing with either the white balance on your camera or the color levels in postproscessing (photoshop). that image also looks a bit oversaturated

Fanof49ASU

Yes, it does.

When I change the white balance settings, the rocks go really yellow.

Also, can the fish see the infrared focus beam thingy (whatever you call it). Last night, I was focusing on a spot and the royal gamma kept going to that spot and nipping at it.

Also, can the fish see the infrared focus beam thingy (whatever you call it). Last night, I was focusing on a spot and the royal gamma kept going to that spot and nipping at it.

i think you are talking about the AF assist beam. These are typically small red or white lights (not infrared), so i would assume the fish can see it, just like we can.

Fanof49ASU
i think you are talking about the AF assist beam. These are typically small red or white lights (not infrared), so i would assume the fish can see it, just like we can.

No, I have my af assist disabled. I'm talking about the focusing mechanism that uses a infrared beam to focus the lens.

No, I have my af assist disabled. I'm talking about the focusing mechanism that uses a infrared beam to focus the lens.

what camera are you using? i am unfamiliar with that feature

Fanof49ASU
what camera are you using? i am unfamiliar with that feature

Nikon D100.

I think it's pretty much on all Nikon models. It's what the camera uses to focus.

Fanof49ASU
ahhh, i have always had canons, so this it beyond my knowledge. sorry :)

I would bet this is standard on all autofocus cameras. It's just a beam that reflects the distance information from the subject to the camera.

Most animals can't see it....just wasn't sure if fish could or not. That royal gamma sure did act like he could.

Just found it.

Yes, they can see the infrared and ultraviolet wave lengths! Cool. I thought my gamma was acting like he could.

http://www.amnh.org/education/resources//r...u_x01_light.pdf

Fishfreak218
Shooting Royal Gammas?

Why is it that when I photograph my royal gamma, the camera (digital) doesn't interpret the purple....instead, it changes it to blue?

Gammy.gif

When I shoot my Gramma i prefer to use a gun.. not a camera :):lol:

i know its not really funny.. but w/e

Fanof49ASU
That top one was shot with a D100?

Yeah....that wasn't a great shot or anything....actually, the fish is out of focus.

I'm using a Nikon 28-105 macro, which isn't a great lens but it does tend to surprise me.

BlastomussaShrimp.gif

My take on all the camera stuff......A good lense and a cheap camera will give you a good photo. A bad lense and a good camera will give you a bad photo. My opinion and experience. Invest in your lenses.

The camera only recieves the information that the lens gives it....it won't make it better.

Up until now, I only shot photos of my daughter and dabbled in sports photography. I got a decent lens for both (70-200VR).....I only wish it was a macro.

I Take Pictures
My take on all the camera stuff......A good lense and a cheap camera will give you a good photo. A bad lense and a good camera will give you a bad photo. My opinion and experience. Invest in your lenses.

The camera only recieves the information that the lens gives it....it won't make it better.

Agreed

Archived