Cultivated Reef

DIY Custom 1.4 oven formed pico

Socalsuperhero

Socalsuperhero
It seems to have lost its rigidness from overheating...

You know it's funny that you mention that because once i started trying to work with the piece that I shaped it seemed much harder. It was more difficult to cut and took a lot longer to sand.

Also, as long as we're talking about shaping acrylic I figure I may as well post this. Although I may try this, I'm going to preface it by saying that under no circumstances do I recommend that you try anything at home that you read about on the internet.

http://www.austinpcmods.com/Plex%20Bending%20Tutorial.htm

With much more information in the comments section here...

http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000167053984/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Socalsuperhero

I've been running the tank with water and a heater in it for the past 24 hours getting it ready for the lights to come (hopefully before this weekend). I decided that I really wasn't happy with the big chunk of pvc and the 106gph from the mj400 (waaaaaaay overkill). So this afternoon I picked up a 7/16" piece of rigid clear plastic tubing add swiped a microjet pump from my stash of crap. I managed to form the tubing into a shape that I like and works well in the tank, plus its not so much of an eyesore now. I'll probably paint it black later, but for now I've got it positioned and the flow adjusted to where it won't be a complete sandstorm in there now.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering...the secret to bending tubing with out it collapsing is to fill it with something (i used very fine dirt from outside since ours is mostly sand anyways) like sand that will keep the volume constant and evenly distribute the heat on the tube.

Img_3296.jpg

Img_3295.jpg

DKreefkeepers

I like that alot. I have been doing sharp bends with acrylic for a while now but have never done a large radius bend like that. Looks like a new expirement to me!

Socalsuperhero

My lights came today. They were a gun metal color so I painted them black to match the rest of the tank. I'm pretty happy with the light on there. Part of me wants to start it going now an dthe other part wants to wait until I get the ato going. Anyways, 26 watts of pc light seems to do a decent job!

Img_3305.jpg

BTW, in case anyone is wondering...the secret to bending tubing with out it collapsing is to fill it with something (i used very fine dirt from outside since ours is mostly sand anyways) like sand that will keep the volume constant and evenly distribute the heat on the tube.

Get a long metal spring that just fits the inside diameter. Key to this is to make sure you don't overheat the plastic as you bend, or else the metal spring will start to work into it.

Socalsuperhero
Get a long metal spring that just fits the inside diameter. Key to this is to make sure you don't overheat the plastic as you bend, or else the metal spring will start to work into it.

That's a really good idea! I've never heard of that one before.

Part of me wants to start it going now an dthe other part wants to wait until I get the ato going. Anyways, 26 watts of pc light seems to do a decent job!

what are you going to do for an ATO? i haven't seen anything about that so far

DKreefkeepers

both of those methods are acceptable for bending tubing. I like the sand Idea better becasue there is no way for it to get stuck in there like a spring could.

neanderthalman

If you're using a small enough tubing, you can find appropriate tube bending springs at an auto parts store. They're inteneded for brake line tubing, but will do the job for smaller tubing. You might be able to get them in larger sizes there as well, I don't know for sure.

Socalsuperhero
what are you going to do for an ATO? i haven't seen anything about that so far

Right now I'm plannign on using a float switch and an aqua lifter.

Socalsuperhero
How's it coming? Did u add anything?

Yup. Still no ATO, but I just couldn't wait. I pulled some choice pieces of rubble from my other tanks fuge along with some sand. I've also got a couple snails and a couple crabs kicking around in there that are doing a good job of cleaning the rocks up. One of my snails has figured out that he can go up and over the overflows between the tank/sump/return and I regularly find him cruising around in one of the chambers in the back.

I've got some xenia, gsp, and some zoos growing out in my other tank that I plan on fragging and putting in this one...eventually.

Img_3306.jpg

im wondering about the magnification? i cant really tell in the picture, but how bad is the image distortion because of the curvature?

thanks socal

and the tank looks awesome

BTW, I want your tank. How much will you charge me if I have you make it?

im wondering about the magnification? i cant really tell in the picture, but how bad is the image distortion because of the curvature?

thanks socal

and the tank looks awesome

I imagine it's not too bad since the acrylic he used didn't appear to be too thick.

Krylon fusion spray paint is safe to use in the aquarium!??!?!?!?

Ya! wouldn't the paint leach chemicals into the water?

Ya! wouldn't the paint leach chemicals into the water?

Apparently it becomes non-toxic like epoxy based paints. [i've seen ply-wood tanks before. They are 3 sides plywood, painted with epoxy paint because it becomes waterproof, then a glass front.

I think that Krylon Fusion becomes totally inert when it drys and cures

• 5 months later...
Socalsuperhero

Just an update..

Seeing that I was too cheap to setup an ato system for this I tore it down before I went on vacation for two weeks. Maybe I'll set it up again sometime.

mybuickskill6979

man.sweet stuff. your alot like me hehe. you hate to sit around and you love to make stuff hehe.!! this has given me an idea, and you know how dangerous those can be lol!! =)

Man I was thinking of doing the same thing, But GF convinced me to go out and buy one....

Now I will have to reconsider, especially since I have some spare acryllic in the garage.

Good work good work. Now I am considering and anenome tank.

SemiAverage711

This is probably one of the best customs I have seen on here. Using an oven to make a tank! Never would of thought possible! I love it. If I only had a large enough oven and a large enough mold. I would make a big one!!!

Archived