looking for 1-2" lawn mower options :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

my planted aquarium requires alot of prunning on a daily basis. its a 50g system 25g display (3x1x1)/25g sump.(standard)

i'm looking for fish that will help with the prunning of my caulerpa. it's a small aquarium so options are limited. i've given it some serious thought about using tiny 1" yellow and blue tangs (my lfs seems to get alot of them that size) and continually returning them to the lfs when they reach 1.5". larger tangs are out of the question, rabbit fish and foxfaces also (just get too large)

i already have a sea hare, but he doesnt eat enough algae to keep up with the new growth. the tanks also crawling with algae eating crabs.

any ideas guys? heres what i'm dealing with.

heres the aquarium freshly pruned.

IMG_8025.jpg

IMG_8014.jpg

IMG_8018.jpg

after 1 days growth

IMG_8274.jpg

and 2 days growth

IMG_8277.jpg

sure good do with a new lawn mower :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i have a sailfin blenny(or at least thats what i was told it was), but he doesnt look anything like the pic. he's stayed small for a year now(2"), and i've never seen him eat algae.

IMG_8282.jpg

my sea hare is about 6", but he's not pulling his weight. he likes snacking on the ulva in the tank, not the caulerpa.

travisurfer

cool fish though. you could try a real lawnmower blenny. i think some crabs might eat algae too. i wouldnt count the tang option out but it would be expensive an it may grow back once you give them away.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
cool fish though. you could try a real lawnmower blenny. i think some crabs might eat algae too. i wouldnt count the tang option out but it would be expensive an it may grow back once you give them away.

i talked to my lfs owner. if he gets any tiny tangs, he's gonna allow me to fatten them up for him/trade them in when thier larger :)

deacon hemp

It looks like you have a barnacle blenney there.Your tank rocks man,i would not have added grape caluerpa to it but that JMO.I had a tank that looked similar and i couldnt keep up with pulling it.Almost the most maitenece tank you can have.Grapes are evil!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
It looks like you have a barnacle blenney there.Your tank rocks man,i would not have added grape caluerpa to it but that JMO.I had a tank that looked similar and i couldnt keep up with pulling it.Almost the most maitenece tank you can have.Grapes are evil!

yup, im learning that the hard way.lol

im pretty sure its a sailfin... it looks just like these sailfins

http://reefnet.ca/galleries/2004-07/LW_Und...fin-blenny.html

http://eyefathom.com/photos.php?picID=1124

mines colored more like the first. he goes from urine yellow to dark dark green/almost black.

deacon hemp

My bad on the blenny call! I've never even owned a blenny,but i'm going to get one for a future project.Im thinking of restarting my 18g cube a planted style like your 50.I wont be adding grapes obviously,it will be a sea grass tank with a DSB.Ive been lurking at the macro forum on RC for a long time now.

Archived