Cultivated Reef

HQI vs. PC = Heat which is best?

RoverJim

I know that I just recently posted that I was going with the 4x36 lights, but in my endless research I came across these HQI bulbs.  I am now adding this in as a factor in the search for brighter lighting.  I have a lot of surface area in the hood, but not alot of height.  

I am wondering, if any one has measured heat coming off of a PC bulb (or series of bulbs) vs a single HQI.  It would seem that if I have just one hot lamp it will be easier to cool then four of them.  

Does anyone have experience with mounting an HQI in about 4" of vertical space?  

I think I have a plan to disapate heat, I can mount it to a large flat white painted aluminum plate and then connect if necessary some heat sinks to it.  With a smaller fan in the back, I think it would be cooler.  However this is only theory.  

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

NanoReefer53

4" is just way to low unless you have an open top with plenty of water evap. Something like 6-9" would be better. I've felt the heat under 150w HQI's at my LFS and I must say they're hotter than my 175w MH. Remeber though if you do use it, keep a UV filter between or else all your corals will burn.

NanoReefer53

I guess it'd acutally be HgQI

stand for Mercury Quartz Iodine......i think

O yea, just if you didn't know the Hg is the abreviation for Mercury

(Edited by NanoReefer53 at 10:54 pm on May 14, 2002)

It figures... I actually measured it this morning and I have 3".  Looks like my decision is definately PCs.

Thanks.. Everyone.... Jim

PC are better suited fre home aquarium uses and are more widely avail on the market. as far as heat, halides run hot , but mercury vapor are REALLY HOT thye are like quartz worklights. I used to cook eggs on the back of my worklight in the garage..... :flame:

Archived