Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

White spots on glass, not pods.

BrassMonkey030

BrassMonkey030

i have a bunch of little white dots on my glass. looking at them closely, they kinda look like starfish. have 2 Aiptasia in my tank that i just today made them go into there hole and stuck some filter sponge in there. i hope there not baby aiptasia.

i also have another un identified hitchhiker. maybe a coral,maybe another bad anemone. the tenticles are clear with tiny white spotting and a white tip.

i have a bunch of little white dots on my glass. looking at them closely, they kinda look like starfish.
does it sorta look like this? (actual size is probably 2~3mm width or the size of this asterisk " * " )

jfish281105.jpg

this was a macro shot taken by ann (this is linked from her [Custom] tank thread in the pico contest sub-forum here).

it's the best closeup/macro i've ever seen of a hydroid jelly. they look like little starfish to the naked eye and frankly, i didn't even know it was the same thing at first because i've never seen such a clear closeup before! but i suspect what you're describing is the same thing. they're relatviely common and afaik relatively harmless.

the other URO (unidentified reef object :P ) could be a corynactis anemone, 'white/orange ball anemone', if you want to google image it. but that's obviously a wild guestimate from me. a pic is worth a 1000-guesses. hth

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i believe cornaticas is a cold water anemone. the one your thinking of is Pseudocorynactis

IMG_7084.jpg

and another pic of a hydroid.

499Hydroid.jpg

BrassMonkey030

i just put a rod near it and the tenticles latched on to it good. so either way it has to go. id hate it to get one of my fish. right now there only about the size of a quarter stretched out, but i bet it could still mess a fish up.

so do i just jab it with a stick or what? its not getting any direct light. its kinda halfway in a cave.maybe it will just die?

Archived