Jump to content

Anyone else been shocked by Coralife Aqualight?


skylsdale

Recommended Posts

I went to turn off my 96w Aqualight tonight and got a HUGE shock to my hand. I couldn't figure out where it could have come from (other than the switch, which I then felt around, but nothing happened). As I was looking, my finger moved over the screw in the back on the right side panel...POW! Got it again. Touched the front ones...nothing. Then I touched the one on the bottom...POW! Got it again. Now my entire arm frickin' aches.

 

Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this?

Link to comment

I have one and it has never happened to me. Mine is on a timer so I don't really have to worry about that. Ocassionally I turn the switch off on the Aqualight and I do not get shocked. Even before I had my timer and had to manually turn the light off I never got shocked. I think it may just be a bad unit. Mine has really given me no problems other than the noisy fans. Doesn't really matter though because it is off at night anyway. Where did you purchase yours from? How old is it? You should notify Coralife about this.

Link to comment

Andre, I ordered it from HelloLights about a year or so ago. Like you, I've had mine on a timer when I've used it before...but recently set up a 10 gal holding tank and decided to use it. I haven't had a chance to get a timer for it, so I've been turning it on/off manually the last couple of days.

 

Like I said, it's not the switch that gave me the shock, but a couple of the screws on the side.

 

check for a faulty ground wire.

 

How do I go about doing that?

Link to comment
Fanof49ASU
I went to turn off my 96w Aqualight tonight and got a HUGE shock to my hand. I couldn't figure out where it could have come from (other than the switch, which I then felt around, but nothing happened). As I was looking, my finger moved over the screw in the back on the right side panel...POW! Got it again. Touched the front ones...nothing. Then I touched the one on the bottom...POW! Got it again. Now my entire arm frickin' aches.

 

Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this?

 

There's no way that would happen 4 times in a row.......trust me. : )

Link to comment

I am experiencing the exact same issue with my Current USA Nova Extreme T-5 fixture (a shock when I touch the screws). :scarry: It is scary enough working with a light fixture around all this saltwater when everything is working properly, but it really concerns me when something like this is happening.

 

I too assume that it is a ground problem. I haven’t checked my outlet yet to see if it is properly grounded, , but I’ve been thinking that it might not be. If it is properly grounded, I’m going to make a call this week to see what can be done to resolve this.

Link to comment

Well, since you have posted this thread, I have been touching the screws and turning the switch on and off on the powerquad once in awhile. No shocks so far. I unplugged it from the timer touched the screws, plugged it bacj in and touched the screws, and nothing.

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...