Cultivated Reef

Sargassum. Where can you buy it?

debbeach13

• 2 months later...
yankeereefer

Hi - sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm curious if anyone ever got any sargassum -

Not looking for any myself - I got some from my LFS and was wondering if anyone has any in their tanks and what their experience has been -

How quickly does it grow - Does it need a lot of light? If this stuff takes off in my tank, is anyone still interested in trades?

Here's a pic of my 5.5g witht he sargassum added (there's also chaeto in the left corner and some unidentified plant hitchhiker on the right):

DSC01589.jpg

Thanks in advance for replies

• 2 weeks later...

Yankee,

The macro on the right looks like sawblade caulerpa. The single stem on the front of the top left rock looks like caulerpa as well. Why don't you want caulerpa?

Ryan

Fishfreak is right - I don't want the stuff taking over.

On a side note - I pulled the sargassum out of the 5.5g - Hermits were tearing it up - I grew tired of reseating the stems and pulling out torn off leaves and "berries".

This stuff would probably do good in a sump, but IMO not for the display where critters can get to it. Too bad though, cause it really added a nice element to the display.

Hi - sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm curious if anyone ever got any sargassum -

Not looking for any myself - I got some from my LFS and was wondering if anyone has any in their tanks and what their experience has been -

How quickly does it grow - Does it need a lot of light? If this stuff takes off in my tank, is anyone still interested in trades?

Here's a pic of my 5.5g witht he sargassum added (there's also chaeto in the left corner and some unidentified plant hitchhiker on the right):

DSC01589.jpg

Thanks in advance for replies

Woot, you are way too many turbo snails in your tank..

Woot, you are way too many turbo snails in your tank..

Actually they're astrea snails and they are food stock for my mantis :P - Check out my tank sig for the 5.5g

YR

Is sargassum the stuf that has a hollow ball at the end and a whip like body?Hell we have HUNDREDS of kelp and seeweed species on the west coast of canada japanese,atlantic whatever! we get atlantic stuff from sailboats from around the world.

not to rub youre noses in it!

Archived