ReefCleaners.org

Sargassum. Where can you buy it?

debbeach13

shivametimbas

hehehe, i got some. and speaking of the gulf , i went two weekends ago and the stuff was all over the beach. i may go this weekend, dunno yet. mine grew out of a small piece of LR. wonder how to go about shipping it, and the cost.

wonder how to go about shipping it, and the cost.

Probably the same way you ship any macroalage: damp, in a bag, by any method that takes less than 5 days.

PM me if you are ready to sell some.

debbeach13

My youngest son lives in Tampa maybe I should send him to the beach. Yeah if only it was that easy.

I was lucky enough to get some chaeto from a fellow reefer on this forum and will be shipping some this weekend to help someone else. Going to ship just like Mr Fosi said.

But back on subject this stuff is hard to find. So if anyone has any they want to sell or knows where to get some I am still lokking.

shivametimbas

not really looking for anything in particular. you on the other hand are. whatcha got that'd be worth it to you to trade?

debbeach13

So far I have only every made a frag of mushrooms. My first is under the LR because my tiger shrimp wanted to decorate his cave. The second is promised to a new just starting out local reefer(free) to help her get started. If I am not mistaken you have 3 tanks? All better stocked than mine but if I will take a look tonight and see if I can come up with something.

PS I did actually forward one of the many pages I read about sargassum telling my son to go get a baggie full and send it to me. I just do not think he will do it.

Sargassum - Portuguess word meaning grapes.

This plant grows subtidally and they like to attach to coral, rocks, and sheels. In some cases they are floating populations (they have bladders)

Any way the gulf of Mexico is the second largest population in the world not that you care sorry really slow at work

yankee boy

sargassum is that brown floating plant with the little ball things on it correct? If so, we usually get a ton of that after a storm and what not.

debbeach13
sargassum is that brown floating plant with the little ball things on it correct? If so, we usually get a ton of that after a storm and what not.

Where are you?

I see stuff wash in on the beach after storms but it is dead.

yankee boy

near pensacola, FL aka emerald coast. This stuff is pretty cool when I pick a bunch of it up from the water tons of stuff come out like pods, crabs and I even had a baby octopus fall out, nice nurseries.

skoalking2006

we talkin seaweed? If so I got a whole beach full of it, the stuff is washing up on matagorda beach all the way to galveston. How would you tell its alive or does that matter? Ive got some sargassum shrimp I collected last yr alive in my main tank, but the seaweed stuff looked dead..

• 2 weeks later...

That link is talking about the invasive properties of Sargassum muticum which doesn't look to be the same plant that I have in my tank, though I don't have mine identified to species.

A picture of Sargassum muticum:

Sargassum_muticum_fs.jpg

travisurfer

i can get tons of vegetatively propogated sargassum from the beach. i actually brought to pieces home that i decided i didnt want in my display. im not sure if its worth the trouble of swimming out, bagging it up, and shipping it though.

I wanted some sargassum for my 10 gal tank, no fish yet, that currently does not have a fuge but will some day. I was hoping it may help keep unwanted algae under control.

I have chaeto in my fuge on my 29 gal which does a great job no problem algae at all. I did not want to put chaeto in the 10 gal main tank. I was lucky enough to get some and here is what I found out.

My hermit crabs which get a few flakes twice a week and have sea lettuce in the tank, in hopes they would pick at the sea lettuce and not any corals when they need a snack, instead one of them really enjoys a treat of sargassum. That one guy has eaten about 1/3 of what I got.

So I got some shaving brush to help with nutrients and some mermaids fan for looks.

I better get going on that fuge sooner rather than later.

I say if you can get some sargassum you should. Take a look at Ann's tank in the pico section or shivametimbers it is a nice add. IMO

travisurfer

the only thing thats stopping me from putting it in is that i may be getting an intank fuge so i dont want macro(at least sargassum) in my main display. i suppose i could ship what i have as a trade for some chaeto/mangroves later on.

I don't know about buying it, but I am looking at about an acre of it floating beside me. Course I am over a hundred miles offshore in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. When I head in next, perhaps I should grab a bucket of it. :)

Archived