SaltCritters.com

Aquapod RoLL CaLL

ezcompany

I know the forum is for Aquapod 24g, but I just want to add my two cents.

Aquapod 12g (open top)

70w metal halides (14k)

Current chiller 1/15

Nano Remora Protein Skimmer

Chamber 1: Nano remora skimmer pump (maxijet 900)

Chamber2: chemipure carbon and "soap dish" modification with chaetomorpha (the water coming from the protein skimmer falls straight into the chaetomorpha)

Chamber 3: polyfilter (great at removing harmful organics and phosphates)

Chamber 4: maxijet 900 pump passing through the chiller and then to the return

Parameters: salt 1.025, Ph 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, calcium 390-420, temp. 78-80.

Livestock:

9 pounds of tonga live rock

10 pounds of live sand

crocea clam

white star polyps

assorted zoas

tongue coral (green metallic)

bubble coral (green metallic)

green favia

2 astrea snails

3 blue leg hermit crabs

1 scarlet hermit crab

1 six line wrasse

4 nassarius snails

1 emerald crab

1cleaner shrimp

1 bleached yuma ricordea

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24AP 80w PC

Rio 1700 chamber 1

MJ900 chamber 2

Aquaclear 301 in display

1/10hp chiller w/ Quiet One 1200 pump closed loop

20lbs LR

1 bag live sand

1 yellow coris wrasse

1 firefish

1 true percula

1 cleaner shrimp

snails, crabs

awesome corals

RobsTank040.jpg

24g AP with 150w HQI Metal halide. Tank cycling, HOB refugium Protien Skimmer (CPR aquafuge w/ skimmer).

Going with 2 900 maxijets (1 to hydor flow, 1 to extra return)

Should I cover the bottom 4 intake slits with plastic? Where can I buy black plastic?

also custom stand, canopy.

JBJ auto top off

post-23370-1167007578_thumb.jpg

Ok here goes,

JBJ AquaPod 24g with 26 lbs live rock and a mixed sand with crushed coral base, as yet unmodified set up. We have had to add some additional filtration even though the water tests out ok (it just was not clear enough). We are planning a mixed tank and as you can see we are just getting started. Heat is an issue so we are running a fan on the aquarium most of the time right but we can see that a chiller is in our future. Looking to up grade to am MJ1200 and maybe more powerful CP lighting (thinking of maybe 100w total, up from the 73w now). Other than that we are in the learning phase. Suggestions and comments are always welcome.

MegaYacht

Apopka Florida

NewAquariumstartup111-26-06.jpg

12-24-06Ricordea.jpg

12-24-06PincushionZoassnail.jpg

12-24-06.jpg

hi everyone,

i have an AP 24G,

MJ 1200

phosban, chemi-pure and LR in the media chamber (chaeto coming soon)

64W standard lighting, but i just ordered the sunpod 70W HQI.

I also ordered the glass top as I don't want any jumping fish. my question for those of you who have the glass top...how much of a pain is it to get into the tank? is there a feeding door, does it lift up, or do you have to remove it completely when you do tank maintenance?

also, how well do the fans on the 70W work? i keep my tank around 79-81, but my heater doesn't need to do much...that is mainly from the lights.

• 3 months later...

Interesting forum, the pictures have given me a lot of ideas for my AquaPod 24 that I set up on 3/28/2007.

AquaPod 24

70W HQI

19.5 lbs Figi live rock

20 lbs Carib Sea live sand

Stock pump

Removed ceramic packing

Removed BioBalls

Removed Blue sponges

Sapphire Aquatics Protein Skimmer

Maxi-jet 400 power head

100W heater

Digital Thermometer

29g Oceanic BioCube stand (the AquaPod stand looked way to unstable, especially since we have earthquakes here)

My first saltwater tank though I have wanted one for 25 years. Now the kids are old enough and tella-commuting is common so nows the time. I am a chemical engineer and it is interesting how all the machanical technology originates from the CPI (Chemical Process Industries).

Ceramic packing and Bioballs are just column packing that have been used for 60 years in the chemical industry.

Protein skimmers, just small (very, very small) bubble extraction columns used to purtify copper and other metals after the smelting process.

Ahh, but I ramble. The live rock must have been very good at the tank cycled after less than a week. I stopped daily testing after nine days. Nitrogen cycle components all zero for a while even used three different makes of kits to make sure.

Added CUC (10 hermits and Astraea Snails) after 6 days. Used commercial powerstrip and simple timers for main and blue lights. Installed GFCI on main plug in wall just to be safe.

Lots and lots of copopods.

Waited 14 days to add first animal (except for CUC), Hairy Mushroom Coral. Starting slow, would like to add an anenome next but have been told to wait for about 2 months for this.

Eventually would like to have a many invertibrate tank, fish maybe a clown (for the anenome), gobe or firefish, and maybe a flame angel (but the angel may get too big for the tank).

Picture as of tonight

post-26396-1176620817_thumb.jpg

So check this ###### out.

Never work on your tank when you've been drinking. Took my glass top off to change my stock pump to a maxijet900 and ended up stepping on the glass top and cracking it into pieces. DOH!

Just got my 24g Aquapod in 2 days ago, filled it with water to check for leaks. Mixed the salt in the tank using the stock pump and an extra powerhead from my other nano. Mixed well SG is good. Go 10lbs of LR today, and am gonna use another 8 from my other nano and shut that one down. As of right now the rock is curing on a bare bottom.

So now to get back on topic.

150w MH 24g

Stock Pump for Maxijet900

I should have drilled that hole but its too late, water is in and im too lazy to take all of it out to drill. Any suggestions as to how I can do it with the water still in there?

The sponge, balls, and the rest of the crap is still in there, probably gonna let it sit in there til I add sand and it clears up.

And im located in Chicago!

word.

I HAVE AN AP 24!!!

Pretty much stock....

25 lbs LR

1 true perc

zoas and two hairy mushrooms

here's mine! my first corals land wed.

Southside? I grew up in Melrose Park! Moved out to the burbs, now going to school downtown.

well this thread is pretty old but i just joined here a week ago and found it during a search for ideas so i guess ill add my info...

24 gallon aquapod

96 watt coralife fixture

mj 900 replaced main pump

606 pump with locline to add to flow, mostly in and around rocks.

28 pounds live rock

25 pounds live sand

lots of softies, zoas, and leathers

some lps and sps

built a custom glass top with hinge for feeding/ maintenance

fission skimmer for now (hopefully not much longer)

the tank has been running for about 14 months and its doing great. im using the blue sponge and the occasional carbon for filtration.

modularduck

damn im getting in on this late...lol i too am part of the AP24 army.

most of the usual mods and corals with the exception of a couple over sized pieces. more pics than you can shake a stick at, just click the link in my sig....

fraggle rockette

i gave in too... :(

(not that i'm actually sad about it-lol ;) )

24g aquapod body just purchased from nanotuners- will pick up in the next week

70 watt MH sunpod

20-30lbs LS

20+lbs LR

everything from the 12g moving on over eventually...

and my tank will move into the living room so that i sleep at night instead of staring into the pseudo-darkness making fish faces. :D pictures to come when i find a stand...

• 3 weeks later...

Im late...

Just got my AP24 last night...replaced the stock pump with the MJ1200 got and MJ600 hanging on the left side of the tank for better flow....have the stock PC lighting and stock filtration but i added a bunch of pieces of LR in the back chamber next to the sponge and bioballs....Im thinking about doin a fuge instead of the stock filtration.....25 lbs of LR and 20lbs or LS....

• 1 month later...
you get a glass cover top that fits perfectly

Ya but how many are running the glass top? With the 150 HQI the heat is pretty good! Most people who I have asked say they are NOT running the glass top.

I am in the process of getting mine set up. I swapped out the stock pump for a MJ 1200 with the hydor flo instead of the stock outlet.

I am reading. I took out the ceramics and will put LR rubble in there. I still have the foam, but it sounds like a lot of people are taking that out too.

Keep up the good posts! Very imformative!!

avalanche1201

Ive got an AP24 im just itching to set up....its got the 70w MH

Just a few questions. I've noticed alot of ppl have swapped out the stock pump for the MJ900....but does the MJ1200 still fit? Or would I have to make the hole biggerif I want to add one

Also im thinking of getting the Maxi-Jet Natural Wavemaker System. One of the pumps would be in the stock location, one of them on the other side, and one towards the bottom to keep a good flow all around the tank

Anyone think this is to much? Or should I just use 2 alternating and 1 designated for a close loop....intake down below to keep the flow return towards the top

modularduck

I think that would be fine. i am running both a 1200 and a 900 and have even though about adding a koralia 1 for more SPS.

Ive got an AP24 im just itching to set up....its got the 70w MH

Just a few questions. I've noticed alot of ppl have swapped out the stock pump for the MJ900....but does the MJ1200 still fit? Or would I have to make the hole biggerif I want to add one

Also im thinking of getting the Maxi-Jet Natural Wavemaker System. One of the pumps would be in the stock location, one of them on the other side, and one towards the bottom to keep a good flow all around the tank

Anyone think this is to much? Or should I just use 2 alternating and 1 designated for a close loop....intake down below to keep the flow return towards the top

I swapped out the stock pump for a MJ 1200. Very nice, I even eliminted the L connector for smoother flow. Just run 1/2 tubing from the MJ and then plug it right in. I used a plastic hose clamp to make sure the fitting on the outlet of the MJ was tight. I am also running a Hydor-Flo in place of the Y lock outlet. I am putting a MJ 400 with a Hydor-Flo on the opposite side of the tank to get slow lower and along the back.

outcastjra

I have a AP24 with a MJ1200, and two other internal powerheads keeping the flow up!

With the hood I replaced the stock fans with 2 new computer fans off of newegg.

One fan draws air in, the other pushes it out.

Here is a pic of my tank-

81498155.phEZmRkm.jpg

Ya but how many are running the glass top? With the 150 HQI the heat is pretty good! Most people who I have asked say they are NOT running the glass top.

I am in the process of getting mine set up. I swapped out the stock pump for a MJ 1200 with the hydor flo instead of the stock outlet.

I am reading. I took out the ceramics and will put LR rubble in there. I still have the foam, but it sounds like a lot of people are taking that out too.

Keep up the good posts! Very imformative!!

If you are going to keep the blue foam, just cut a 1" slice of it and put it on top of the chamber.

The entire block accumulates too much debris unless rinsed out VERY frequently. Better off, just put a small layer of floss of the top and replace it every three days.

Cheers

Archived