Top Shelf Aquatics

Aquapod RoLL CaLL

ezcompany

Hi everyone, quick roll call for everyone that owns a 24 Gallon Aquapod!

Please please state your lighting, major equipment, and location as well!

I'll go first

Sunpod 150 HQI, AquaC Remora MJ1200, 2 x MJ1200 with Hydor, Whisper 30 HOB filter, Stealth 100w heater

for pics and more info

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...86752&st=20

Now for those of you starting your new Aquapod here are some suggestions:

Basic:

1. Remove the stock pump, replace with Maxijet 1200. Reason: stock pump puts out too much heat. Heat = bad

2. Remove all sponges and ceramic material. Reason: Sponges will build nitrate eventually. nitrates = bad. Ceramic material is there for biological filter, but will probably create more bad than good through nitrates again.

3. Block all grates in the intake except for the top 2. Reason: Improve surface skimming. Why improve surface skimming? to remove the ugly white film on your water surface. This will reduce the performances of protein skimmers as well.

Chamber Options:

4. Drill additional outlets in your false wall. Reason: Improve overall flow. Can add hydorflows for randomized water movement.

5. Live rock rubble in chamber. Reason: Improve biological filtration capacity. Be aware that you will get detritus from all liverock, and you may want to clean this once in awhile.

6. Chaetomorpha. Reason: Nitrate export. Remember to secure it well or it will be all over your tank.

7. HOB filter. Reason: Additional water volume, area for mechanical filtration, filter medias to be used. For phosphae removal I recommend Rowaphos. For mechanical filtration I recommend pureflo 100 micron. For carbon I recommend Boyd's chemipure.

Skimmer Options: (note, this requires your sump chamber area to have no top)

8. Coralife Super Skimmer 65. Excellent value, excellent performance. Can be unstable, and I highly recommend using a Autotop off. Will be hang on back.

9. AquaC Remora. Expensive, but stable solid performance. Does not outperform the Coralife, but decent skimmer.

10. Tunze Nano Doc. Expensive again, but supposedly better than the AquaC. I'm not sure if the collection cup can fit though.

11. Sapphire Aquatics Skimmer. From recent reviews on this forum, seems to be a good value skimmer that will fit even with your hood on.

Misc. Info/Recommendations

12. Sunpod 150 HQI I highly recommend it. This will require a chiller in the summer time.

13. JBJ 1/15 HP nano artica chiller

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

120W PC light mod, Coralife Super Skimmer in back chamber #2, DIY refugium in chamber #1, MJ 1200.. no chiller but added 2 more fans to the hood.. blwoing in .. and changed other two blowing out for better one.. also added 1 fan blwoing air above the water surface.. temp. set on 80F - 24/day... no heat issue anymore..

will post some pics later tonight..

South Bend, IN

cheers

70W HQI, 1200MJ mainpump w/ Hydor, 900MJ in camber #2 ( with the main pump) drilled bulk head into tank, pics coming soon, have to corallife super skimmer HOB not in use yet I think this week, not sure what chamber. If in chamber #1 i can use a sponge. Also this week DIY fuge, cut off black back and have light shine through glass. Not sure what chamber, which ever i pick it will be oppisite of the skimmer.

San Jose, CA

Apod 24 open top, Sunpod 150W, MJ1200 w/ Hydor Flo, probably add a MJ404 behind my rock pile just to keep the water moving through the rocks.

Just starting to cycle.

in PA

I just got one the other week! Stock lighting/powerhead w/ a Nano Skimmer.

When you guys replace the stock pump with the MJ1200 (just placed an order for one) does the stock tubing/coupler fit the MJ1200? Stock is 3/8" if I am not mistaken.

I just got one the other week! Stock lighting/powerhead w/ a Nano Skimmer.

bob7lx.jpg

How much sand and live rock did u put in your tank?

Got a brand new 24g Aquapod and stand today will set it up over the holiday weekend HELP GIVE ME ALL INFO FOR MODS AND A GOOD SKIMMER hehe pm me plz or email me at tmckenna@adams.net since I can only get on here once in awhile business keep me busy

BEST YET I GOT FOR 125.00 heheheh DROOL ALL

Got a Oceaninc 30 gallon cube and stand for $125 at PetSmart. I had it drilled and built a 17 gallon sump. I am going to put an Aqualight by coralife on it and along with a skimmer and return pump. The all-in-ones stink. Have had a couple, never again!

Got a Oceaninc 30 gallon cube and stand for $125 at PetSmart. I had it drilled and built a 17 gallon sump. I am going to put an Aqualight by coralife on it and along with a skimmer and return pump. The all-in-ones stink. Have had a couple, never again!

That's wonderful to hear, thanks for chiming in.

:wacko:

gollum31548

Stock (so far) 64w PC lighting. 4-5 inch aragonite DSB, IO salt (1.025) with a 22 pound box of DFS 'premium' Fiji live rock in the FedEx shipping channel scheduled for delivery tomorrow afternoon. Nano skimmer and an extra RIO 600 pump will be installed when the LR is put in.

Aquapod 24, 70W MH Sunpod, stock pump, Fission Skimmer (sucks... probably replace it with a Remora), two powerheads, and a Reefkeeper 2. Located in Hillsborough North Carolina.

I've got plans to add an external overflow and sump. The stand is custom made for cabinet space and the future sump. It's about 6 days old, and I just added some live rock today!

CIMG3032.thumbnail.JPG

-2 MJ 900s

-96w of PC (added another 32w)

-JBJ ATO

-ICE CAP fan added into hood (reduced temp by 4 degrees)

-Replaced stock fan and added a second fan

-Turned chamber 1 into a fuge

• 2 weeks later...
Coraline2020

AP24 w/ 70WHQI

Stock pump (although changing to MJ1200 this weekend)

SeaClown 100 Skimmer (oops..SeaClone..hehe)

AquaClear50 in display for flow

Hilton Head Island, SC

Aquapod 24, 70W MH Sunpod, stock pump, Fission Skimmer (sucks... probably replace it with a Remora), two powerheads, and a Reefkeeper 2. Located in Hillsborough North Carolina.

I've got plans to add an external overflow and sump. The stand is custom made for cabinet space and the future sump. It's about 6 days old, and I just added some live rock today!

CIMG3032.thumbnail.JPG

I am wondering about your light setup...when you get the 70W HQI, you don't get the hood, correct? But is the tank covered with something to prevent evaporation/fish acrobatics?

Archived