Top Shelf Aquatics

FW Dipping (GSP)

Phil F

I dipped my corals for 2-3 minutes when moving it between tanks(to remove evil red flatworms), and it has been 24 hours since I dipped my GSP and no polyps have come out yet. The new growth which was white, seems to be turning purple like the rest of the mat, but nothing has come out yet. Is this normal? How long can the polyps stay hidden?

GSP can stay closed up for weeks at a time.

I got some in from Maryland that took three weeks to open.

Apparantly, GSP is exteremely hard to kill, so I doubt that you did any damage to them simply by FW dipping them.

Give it some time.

Thanks Mr. Fosi,

At about 8:00am this morning two polyps had started to come out, about 10:30am there were 3 more polyps that I could see the little green spot about to poke through. When I got home at 6:00pm none were about, but the light was off. After 2 1/2 hours of having the light on 7-8 polyps are now out, the whole star, they are not completely out, but it is looking much better, a few more days and it should look great.

One Eyed Bunny

Happy endings always make me fuzzy.

My GSPs sucked for a solid 4 weeks and then the next day it looked amazing. It's such a miserable feeling wondering if its dying or not. Why must it do this!? ^_^

if mine died off, i would be ecstatic. i still can't believe that stores and hobbiests promote the spread of yellow polyps, xenia, and any star polyps. they're the devil in disguise...i swear.

One Eyed Bunny

No, crabs are the devil. Those buggers are going to be the end of saltwater for me! I swear it.

No, crabs are the devil. Those buggers are going to be the end of saltwater for me! I swear it.

I'll second that.

I am going to try to trade all but 1 or 2 of mine (dwarf blue legs) for more snails.

Archived