Cultivated Reef

bubble tip anenome!

ltzryder21

ltzryder21

I just bought a bubble tip anenome and am having trouble getting it to eat. My LFS said to feed it small pieces of fish(gramma). I've tried that for a couple days and he ends up not eating it. He will take it in like he is eating, and then a few hours later I'll see my shrimp and crabs eating the same piece! Anyone have this problem? Is there something else I should try feeding him? :huh:

Fishfreak218

try smaller peices... also.. your feeding him Royal Gramma??

if you are.. YOU ROCK!!!

it could be that you have a shrimp and/or fish pulling the peice out of the tenticles..or maybe he is not happy.. what lighting do you have.. is his mouth open all the time? is he bleached?

how olds your set-up

HotRod68Camaro

i have found krill and pieces of shrimp to work. if its forced onto it sometimes it wont take it but if i let it fall onto the anemone it takes it.

ltzryder21

I noticed that he kind of shribbled up. The ends of his tenticles are tiny! They're not big and round. Is he sleeping or what?

try smaller peices... also.. your feeding him Royal Gramma??

if you are.. YOU ROCK!!!

it could be that you have a shrimp and/or fish pulling the peice out of the tenticles..or maybe he is not happy.. what lighting do you have.. is his mouth open all the time? is he bleached?

how olds your set-up

I have orbit lighting. 130w. My tank has been set up for 6 weeks. no his mouth is not open. bleached? what's that?

Fishfreak218

is he white??? or is his colors fading.. you really shouldnt have gotten an anemone with so little experience (im assuming).. and such a young tank... if it is shriveled up and "Walking" around the tank it is not happy... also it is common for BTA's to loose there bubbles in their tentacles and just have long tentacles..

althefishguy

You are just adding waste to Your sys. it does'nt need to be fed it needs light high nitrate levels will kill it very quickly. You're only feeding it to amuse You're self because You like to see it eat !!!!

RayWhisperer
really shouldnt have gotten an anemone with so little experience
Agreed.... Anemones need EXCELLENT water conditions. Some will argue the lighting needs of a BTA, but IMO/E, they need atleast high wattage PC's.

What are the water params?

How big is the tank you have the Orbit on?

I've tried that for a couple days and he ends up not eating it. He will take it in like he is eating, and then a few hours later I'll see my shrimp and crabs eating the same piece! Anyone have this problem? Is there something else I should try feeding him?
BTA's arent true fish catchers, though they will eat fish if it's small enough. My theory(From personal experience) is if the piece of fish has alot of bones in it, they will regugitate it. They will also take shrimp, krill, squid, and clam. Start out with small pieces and gradually give it larger ones, you'll soon figure out what size it does best with.
darkwaterdevil

feeding an anemony isnt to just see it eat it may not need it to survive but if you want it to LIVE or be "happy" you should feed them

ltzryder21
Agreed.... Anemones need EXCELLENT water conditions. Some will argue the lighting needs of a BTA, but IMO/E, they need atleast high wattage PC's.

What are the water params?

How big is the tank you have the Orbit on?

BTA's arent true fish catchers, though they will eat fish if it's small enough. My theory(From personal experience) is if the piece of fish has alot of bones in it, they will regugitate it. They will also take shrimp, krill, squid, and clam. Start out with small pieces and gradually give it larger ones, you'll soon figure out what size it does best with.

I have been giving it small pieces of fish. (eraser size) I have a 29g with the orbit. It is green with purple tips. It hasn't lost any color. The LFS said to feed once every two days. If it gets too hungry, they said he will feed off himself which is bad. Maybe your right, I should have waited. We'll see what happens. He is anchored inside a rock and he pulled himself in and closed up.

I got my water tested before I put him in. All my levels were good.

althefishguy

You need to get the info. for Your self not from the LFS they are there to sell things like frozen krill so you pollute Your tank every 2-3 days

then You will need to buy something to clean it up and so on and so on !

They need light they live off the algae inside them they do not need to be fed to be happy they need good water and ligthing educate Your self

before You just run out and buy an animal !!!

Fishfreak218

ok... anyway what they said^ but i still think its a good idea to feed the anemone.. but not every 2 days.. more like once a week.. it will move around if it isnt happy with the light and/or flow its getting.. should probably be close to the top and not at the bottom

ltzryder21
ok... anyway what they said^ but i still think its a good idea to feed the anemone.. but not every 2 days.. more like once a week.. it will move around if it isnt happy with the light and/or flow its getting.. should probably be close to the top and not at the bottom

I just hope he's okay for now! I'll see in a few days or so!

RayWhisperer

Al, I agree with you on the LFS part of your post, but I will take issue with the feeding part.

True, nem's do NEED light, but they do need food also. Food may not be as important as light, but it has it's place. Afterall they do have the ability to digest food and process this into energy and nutrients for life and growth.

Put 2 BTA's in the same tank. Feed one weekly, and the other never. Growth and vitality of the fed nem will be noticable within a week or two. The unfed nem will eventually refuse to take food altogether. After it reaches this point it's too late, it's gonna die.

I just hope he's okay for now! I'll see in a few days or so!
I'd reccomend several water changes over the next week aswell. Nem's will deflate occasionally to expell waste and water. After waster expultion they should reinflate relatively quickly. After water expultion it can take several hours. Anything longer than this is indicative of a problem, most likely water quality related.
ltzryder21
Al, I agree with you on the LFS part of your post, but I will take issue with the feeding part.

True, nem's do NEED light, but they do need food also. Food may not be as important as light, but it has it's place. Afterall they do have the ability to digest food and process this into energy and nutrients for life and growth.

Put 2 BTA's in the same tank. Feed one weekly, and the other never. Growth and vitality of the fed nem will be noticable within a week or two. The unfed nem will eventually refuse to take food altogether. After it reaches this point it's too late, it's gonna die.

I'd reccomend several water changes over the next week aswell. Nem's will deflate occasionally to expell waste and water. After waster expultion they should reinflate relatively quickly. After water expultion it can take several hours. Anything longer than this is indicative of a problem, most likely water quality related.

Well I hope he reinflates soon then. I'll do a water change tomorrow! Here's some pictures after he moved!

fish_257.bmp

You are just adding waste to Your sys. it does'nt need to be fed it needs light high nitrate levels will kill it very quickly. You're only feeding it to amuse You're self because You like to see it eat !!!!

Yeah...you need to STOP posting on peoples threads offering your advice because, no disrespect, you are DEAD WORNG.

I always found that new anemones will take to Mysis Shrimp before they will take to pieces of fish. When they do accept fish, I like to feed Silversides (Lancefish).

HTH

BTW, not all LFSs suck, mine is awsome and they owners won't sell something to you unless you have the know how to properly take care of the animal. If you don't, they will give you some advice and ask you to do some more research before you buy it, but if you still insist on getting it, they wil sell it to you only to make a profit because hey, it is a Mom and Pop operation and somebody has got to pay the bills! :lol:

debbeach13

Glad to hear he is doing better. Keep a close eye on him. If you do not already have test kits then you need to get some. Keep up with your water changes. Oh I think you should feed once a week. I use 1 med. sized raw shrimp form the super market but a have a good size carpet anemone Hope he continues to improve.

ltzryder21
Yeah...you need to STOP posting on peoples threads offering your advice because, no disrespect, you are DEAD WORNG.

I always found that new anemones will take to Mysis Shrimp before they will take to pieces of fish. When they do accept fish, I like to feed Silversides (Lancefish).

HTH

BTW, not all LFSs suck, mine is awsome and they owners won't sell something to you unless you have the know how to properly take care of the animal. If you don't, they will give you some advice and ask you to do some more research before you buy it, but if you still insist on getting it, they wil sell it to you only to make a profit because hey, it is a Mom and Pop operation and somebody has got to pay the bills! :lol:

He is doing better! He was just purging! I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from! Why does everybody trip??? :lol: If I want advise, give me advise! These other people just call you a dumb because your not a professional like them! LOL! I forgot they're the encyclopedia of reefing! I know my LFS knows what they're talking about! Propably more than the ingnorant people on this website! Thanks for being cool! Do you know where to get a good price on a test kit? Need one bad!

There is no "good" price in this hobby lol. Just get a Salifert (spelling?) Master Kit and be done with it. Everyone needs a good test kit, at least the basics (Nitrates, Nitrites, Amonia, Ca, and pH). It realy depends on the type of reef you have as to which test kit(s) you will need.

He is doing better! He was just purging! I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from! Why does everybody trip??? :lol: If I want advise, give me advise! These other people just call you a dumb because your not a professional like them! LOL! I forgot they're the encyclopedia of reefing! I know my LFS knows what they're talking about! Propably more than the ingnorant people on this website! Thanks for being cool! Do you know where to get a good price on a test kit? Need one bad!

You have these kind of people in every reef site man. People sometimes forget that people do mistakes, that's all. Some people will give you advise and it may sound rude but that's just the way it is dude. Dont worry about it and have fun.

My suggestion: Becareful when you buy things in this hobby. There are stuff that looks really nice but there are times when our tanks can't support such beauties. Dont be scared to ask questions. I think your tank is not mature enough for an anemone. I think your light is not enough for an anemone. Some people has advised you of this already. The anemone will become stressed and eventually die if the matter is not taken care of. Since you have it already the best thing to do is hope it moves to the top of the tank. It will need the light. Don't force the anemone to go to the top but if it does make sure it gets the most light possible. I had an anemone and it used to eat brine shrimp. My clownfish would feed it by himself. It was the coolest thing to see.

ltzryder21
You have these kind of people in every reef site man. People sometimes forget that people do mistakes, that's all. Some people will give you advise and it may sound rude but that's just the way it is dude. Dont worry about it and have fun.

My suggestion: Becareful when you buy things in this hobby. There are stuff that looks really nice but there are times when our tanks can't support such beauties. Dont be scared to ask questions. I think your tank is not mature enough for an anemone. I think your light is not enough for an anemone. Some people has advised you of this already. The anemone will become stressed and eventually die if the matter is not taken care of. Since you have it already the best thing to do is hope it moves to the top of the tank. It will need the light. Don't force the anemone to go to the top but if it does make sure it gets the most light possible. I had an anemone and it used to eat brine shrimp. My clownfish would feed it by himself. It was the coolest thing to see.

He has been doing better like I said in the last post! He is still anchored in the same spot! I heard that he will move around to a place that he is comfortable with and is getting enough light? He has been there for 5 a few days so maybe he is comfortable with it! I am new at this hobby like you already know, so I am still learning! If I would have how serious everything is, I would have waited a bit! I look at it as you learn as you go! You can't learn everything at once and you learn from your mistake! If he does end up dieing than I will know! Thanks for the help and the support!!!

Reefer Addict

I feed mine silversides soaked in selcon. Before I feed the silversides I smash the heck out of them into pieces small enough to be sucked up into a turkey baster. I turn off all my pumps and spot feed with the baster.

clifford513

That's a nice bta. Looks just like mine. I have had mine for a few months now. Easiest anemone, ime. I feed mine 1/4" pieces of silversides at least once every week. I think your lighting is ok. I have 175w 14k mh, but my bta has moved to the very bottom of a 33g cube. It is normal for anemones to shrink occassionally to expell wastes. Everyone who has posted has offered some valid info, some just don't come off as nice. Par for course, don't take it personally. Do you have a clownfish?

Archived