inTank Media Baskets

Water change reactions

netwizz

Whenever I do a weekly water change my xenia and leather completly close up.  Sometimes for the rest of the day. The mushrooms and polyps don't seem to mind. It's always been that way I just wondered if it happened to everyone. I try to match the water parameters as closely as possible. I do a 1 gallon change weekly on a 7 gallon tank.

my torch and open brain do this also.  usually after a little time, they reopen afterwards.  the torch is a little more sensitive and takes a little longer to reopen.

My Alife 7

My xenias and green star polyps stay open while I do a water change. Rarely do either close up, (except at night).

Depending on your original water chemestry, how much, how fast, temp diff, and which brand salt u use, can all be factors. Many sea salts iritate fish and corals muchus and cause a "burn" if used too soon after mixing. Some salts also need to be ph satblized fer a few hours and airated. A lot of the trace elements are in higher quanities and the buffers too in new water. Its like being in the bath tum in warm water, and some one dumping a 5 gal pail of ice water in with u. you shock too..LOL

My polyps close up when I do water changes but only for like 5 minutes. The frogspawn,shrooms, and star polyps all stay open.

reefguru21

Yep it happens to almost all of us=)

If you add water that has been conditioned for the tank and has been aged for about 24hrs. then add about half gallon at a time then there is less of a chance of polyp retraction.  but don't worry it's all normal=)

GOOD LUCK!

Archived